Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Customer dropped off a 03 Rincon 650 with 3000 miles. The unit has no power. Sitting at idle and pushing throttle it only revs up to approx. 1/3 throttle. When driving only gets up to 25 mph but slow to get there. No backfire and runs fine just won't rev up. Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
6,421 Posts
03 = 650 .... easy enough to check, I agree with the tippy jeep guy ;) cam or valve adjustment issue. Also, debris can fill up the petcock (left side) of the tank. (Starving for fuel after idle). If never done, a good idea to remove it, clean the screen, and pop an inline filter between the Petcock and the carb for a bit of insurance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My 03 has almost 2700 miles on it.
Is this cam problem a concern?
How prolific was the cam lobe wear problem?

Was this problem due to improperly adjusted valves?
General poor maintenance?

:)

·
Super Moderator
6,421 Posts
No, mine was worn but still ran good up to 75KMh (45-50 MPH) I have over 20,000 when I did mine, only because the decompression component on it failed. (20,000 KMs = 12,000 miles.)
Not prolific at all, there were a few 04's that had "soft cams" but it was limited.
Yes, and yes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
No, mine was worn but still ran good up to 75KMh (45-50 MPH) I have over 20,000 when I did mine, only because the decompression component on it failed. (20,000 KMs = 12,000 miles.)
Not prolific at all, there wee a few 04's that had "soft cams" but it was limited.
Yes, and yes.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rincon no power

Hey a have a honda rincon 680 that makes knocking sounds when running and barely has enough power to move 1 foot. it only has about 1500 miles on it. I idled it for about 45 minutes one night to light up something. When it was running I noticed a knock after some time but since i had been listening to it for so long i didn't realize it was that bad. It lacked power when I tried to move it so I parked it in my shed for the night. The next morning I checked the oil level and started it up and it knocked really bad and really lacked power. I drove it around and it kept losing power until it would barely move so I quit running it. The last few months before the lack of power and knocking it only could go 40 mph.
I am wondering if this is and issue with the camshaft and valves. I need some expertise.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Are you checking the oil level properly?
Start it up, run for 5 mins is over 50 degrees.
Shut it off.
Let it sit for a few mins.
Check oil level.

1500 miles and this problem.
Compression check?
What year?
A knock can mean rod bearings.

Get a Honda service manual.
I think there is a link on here to download it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's a 2015. I let it run for a couple minutes then let it cool down and the oil was still at the top mark on the dipstick. I will do a compression check probably tomorrow and hopefully pull the head off within the next couple of days. By the way when I cranked it over to start it, it cranked for about five seconds with it firing a couple times before it started.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I mostly use my rincon for utility and i need more power. How fast would it go if I did a 20 percent gear reduction with stock tires?

·
Super Moderator
6,421 Posts
don't screw the dip stick in to check oil level, insert and remove. The wait time is so the warm oil can drain back into the case. Are u able to record the sound and post it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm worried about the same thing. I got the tincon blown up and smoking really bad so I did a 680 cylinder, piston and camshaft. But mine knocks too. Boggs down in 4x4. But i have a bad speed sensor too. So i unplugged it so i can drive it manually. I thought it could be a valve issue or a timing chain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts