Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide what to get my wife. It's gotta be an automatic, I like the idea of I.R.S. for her and a lower gear. Is the engine braking on a Rancher AT better than the Rincon? The Kodiak seems to have all that and a locker! I've never had a Yamaha so I need some input. Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
my buddys wife has a non irs 450 kodiak and i think it is a heck of a machine . it doesnt have the at's looks but honda is in the friggin days of the cave man with that at. they realy didnt change the chassis any. i had an 02 rancher 4x4 before my rincon,and it is crude. drum breaks and all.and does the at come out of 4x4? . if not you dont want your wife ridin it ,she'll lose intrest real quick! .i put a warn 424 on my rancher made a big diff! if it was me i would go with the kodak. yamaha is a good machine. 1, quick note there is a lot of exaust heat up under the tank on hers

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Last week I spent a few hours on a Rancher and was cussing it way before the end of the ride. I'd rather wrassle a 'gator than try to steer that antiquated front end on a Rancher. There's just no excuse for any 4-wheeler
being that tiring and uncomfortable to manuever.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Given those two, I'd get the IRS Kodiak 450. I'm done with Honda, after the way they've treated me about trying to get work done on my Rincon.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased the 2005 Rancher AT 400 - Selectable 4wd or 2wd, AutoMatic or ESP shifting capablities.. Wife Loves it.. She rides with me for 6+ hours at a time and doesn't want to quit.. Would HIGHLY recommended the Honda Rancher AT for the Wifes that want to ride...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Npow that we have the wives liking this machnine is it ok for a guy to ride it. I am looking for a reliable unit to hunt off of and take an occasional trail ride.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rancher AT. There is lots of engine braking on the Rancher. Way more than the Rincon. I like the look of the new Rancher's. I don't find it hard to steer. I rode it for 3 years before getting the Rincon and had no problems. I do find the ride rough though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't mind the look

·
Registered
9 Posts
my girlfriend rides a 04 rancher at .she thinks it is the perfect atv for her .ride is nice handles perfectly .she never has any problems .

·
Registered
698 Posts
Seriously consider a Rubicon. My wife has an 06 and my MIL has an 06 Rancher at. The Rancher is a nice bike but the Rubicon is a lot better. Well worth the difference in the money.

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
My wife rides an 04 Rancher 400AT, she really likes it. I put 25x12.5x11 tires on the back and it crawls through everything. I ride it on occasions and it hauls me around good. It could use more power, but thats to be expected from a smaller bike. It would be nice to hyave a better suspension in the rear, the stock one is a little too soft, but it rides well. All around good bike, glad we bought it.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
My wife also has a Rancher AT. We just got it for her last year and she loves it. Just enough power for her.

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
It`s easy enough that my 10 year old daughter can operate it too. My wife and her take turns at the controls when we`re on the trail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got two Rancher 400AT's. I like them, they are OK. Very comfortable ride. Not so good in the mud because of no low end gear. My 13 year old daughter and I ride all day long and she hasn't complained. Both man are pretty trashed from mudding. I've get an HMF pipe and jet on back order for mine, the wife doesn't want it. You can switch in and out of 4 wheel drive and automatic. For the price, you mightwant to consider a foreman 500...I hear at some places you can get the bigger bike for a few hundred more. Did you ask her what she wanted? My wife says she wouldn't mind the foot shift. We had no clue when we bought ours, that we would end up in the mud. I put 26" mud lites with ITP type 7's on both...they do fine except in thick mud...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just bought an 06 350 rancher, and it has great engine breaking and plenty of power, doesnt ride all that bad for a staight axle machine. You can never beat hondas reliability. I still see freakin honda 3 wheeler running around on the mountain. HONDA HONDA HONDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Lee2, I don't think that you want to claim that your bike has "great engine breaking."

:>)

Excelsior,

Barkle

·
Registered
41 Posts
My wife has a Kodiak with IRS and LOVES IT!!!!!!! The effortless stearing is perfect for a woman. She found the smaller handlebars make it fit her better. We have about 5 wives that ride with us, 3 of 5 have the Kodiak and the other 2 want one. Nothing against Honda's I wouldn't trade my for anything but IMO the Kodiak is a better machine for a woman.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts