Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode it 3 days ago with no issues. Started up just fine. Temperature dropped down to 30 overnight. This morning, I tried to start it. Initially, everything was normal. Turned the key, normal dash. Hit the starter button, starter turned over, then nothing. Lights on the dash started flickering. I turned it off and tried again. This time, just flickering lights on the dash and a clicking sound from under the right rear of the seat. I felt around on the various components, but couldn't find the source of the clicking. It sounds like a quieter version of the clicking you get when you try to start a car on a low battery, except I'm not hitting the starter button. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
12,382 Posts
I would make sure your connections at the battery are tight.
After that check the battery, may need a charge, or replacement.

·
Super Moderator
6,619 Posts
Temperature drops can reveal battery issues suddenly. The clicking you hear may be a the starter solenoid balking at the low voltage. When the Starter turned over, and then nothing, it may have drained the battery to far. As mentioned above, battery connections tight then test the battery (a load test is best).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But why would it turn over like it was going to start and then suddenly stop. There was nothing in between, like a slow moving starter. I don't know much about these, but I assume they can't be all that different from most other engines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not now. I've had it on the tender all night. When I turn the key on, the dash just flickers. Nothing on the LCD. I'll try to put a video on on Youtube if I can figure it out. I'll also hook it up to my big battery charger. That thing got my Polaris to crank over even with a dead battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the battery might be part of it, but I'm concerned about a possible FI issue. The clicking I'm hearing might be coming from the injection system. The FI light on the dash flickers in synch with the clicking. With a 200A starting charge going into the battery, it turns over, sounds like it's started, but immediately dies. I'm going to get a new battery, but that FI thing is concerning.

·
Premium Member
8,084 Posts
BATTERY, don't force feed newer machines with all their computers. When the battery shits it will act like this. You likely stuffed enough juice into the battery to turn the starter over, then it didn't have enough left to fire the fuel pump or ignition. When the battery craps out the electronics will do all kinds of weird stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was the battery. Now, if I can figure out how to reset the oil change indicator. The instructions I found online didn't work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts