Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
no, its slow...

there typicaly are two reasons why sites are slow...

reason one, inadequate conection bandwidth to the internet, possibly robg is hosting this on a cable modem...

reason two, inadequate horsepower on the server hosting it... dynamic sites such as these that use database backends require substantial horsepower to dynamicaly generate the pages on the fly. The choice of server configuration, databae type and design along with the connection type will all have an impact on performance.

This site appears to use JDBC to make a database connection, Java itself requires a great deal of horsepower run.

I suspect that as the sites frames are very low in detail and there are no large SQL queries being ran on the database its a combination of inadequate hardware, and a low bandwidth connection only compounds the problem...

but what do I know... Im only a site user...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Or its all the pictures you post chucker....LOL... Just kidding....

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just like in Hot Rodding, horsepower takes money. I feel sure that if we all chipped in some $, Rob would be willing to upgrade his system. I am sure he puts up this site for his love of ATVs, and he has to get by with low horsepower, just like us Rincon owners.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You must be on a dial up then....

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Yes, it's slow. It's driving me nuts too, I'm sure it's driving you guys crazy.

The problem isn't bandwidth... it's on a full T1. The problem is horsepower. The server is a single Pentium 4 1.8 GHz machine with 1 gig of RAM. It's handling both the web services and database. What's worse is it's running Windows 2000 Server as opposed to Linux.

I'm in the process of converting the database from MS SQL Server over to mySQL, which will run on a separate machine under Linux. I think this will speed things up considerably, because the whole problem IS SQL Server. It's a pig.

Once I finish figuring out the various little idiosynchrasies with mySQL, I will run the script and do the conversion, and hope all goes well.

Rob

·
Registered
151 Posts
Robg...

Are you getting your PM's????

Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts