Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the forum. Bought a 2003 650 this last summer and am now having an issue that first showed up this fall on my last ride and now showed again this winter plowing snow. I bought it from the original owner with 681 miles on it, it has 748 now. Since I've owned it, I changed engine and diff oil, cleaned out the carb, new spark plug, new air filter....etc. I've basically gone through it. Anyway, this last fall I took it out and ran into an issue where I would be in ESP in 1st gear and be in a mud hole. The bike would act like it suddenly couldn't rev up. It's hard to describe, but more or less, it couldn't pull it's own ass anymore. It would hit a wall and just wouldn't move. In that instance, we winched it out and I switched back and forth from ESP to auto and it seemingly went away. Now today I go to plow and we have about 1.5' of snow, for the first 10 minutes she was pulling hard and moving along nicely. I stopped to angle the plow and went to go again and it wouldn't hardly move. Like it was being governed, when just a few minutes prior I was stopping and going just fine. I'm running the oil just above full, amsoil 10w40. I can't seem to come up with anything that would cause this besides the dreaded trans o-ring problem. This bike did sit for a few years before I got it. Does anyone here have any advice or insight on this? Maybe someone who's had it happen to them? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also to add, it almost feels like its in second when it warms up. Indicator says first, but the power i'm getting feels like its in second, and it's only happening when i'm working it hard, i.e. going through the deeper snow and deeper mud

·
Registered
445 Posts
What oil did you use? Is it at the correct level? Deop the dipstick in, do not screw it in to check it. If it pulls fine when cold, leads me to believe its an oil or oil pressure issue

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What oil did you use? Is it at the correct level? Deop the dipstick in, do not screw it in to check it. If it pulls fine when cold, leads me to believe its an oil or oil pressure issue

I’m running amsoil 10w40 full synthetic ATV oil. It’s just a hair above the full mark without the dipstick screwed in.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thats what I run as well. Hmmm, Ill ponder some more. But an oil pressure test may be in your near future

1 - 6 of 6 Posts