Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I followed the service manual and replaced the brake pads. I removed the caliper and screwed in the piston aligning the groove with the mark. All went together fine. When bleeding the foot brake I got nothing and in the end the bleeder screw was clogged. Got it bled and have a foot break - not great though. Then I went to adjust the front left handle as it went all the way to the grip. I had to turn the nut almost all the way in to get the handle in the right pressure position, but I have no left handle bar rear brake. It does nothing.

In reading about the pad replacement on this great forum I am thinking perhaps because that front handle brake has so little movement of the cam that I should have turned the piston out slightly until I could not get it over the pads as the initial adjustment. In other words just as close as possible to get it over the pads.

Perhaps this is why I have not front left handle engagement?

·
Super Moderator
6,667 Posts
You may still have air in the system or pad orientation incorrect... see below. It is not necessary to open a closed system (brake lines) when replacing the pads, just crack the reservoir lid. Best to redo the rear caliper bleed, but 1st, go to the rear reservoir and make sure it has fluid (by your right side butt when sitting on the ATV) Loosen the res cover, and bleed using the foot brake. When the foot brake is correct, you will have an inch or so downward movement, then the brakes start to apply, not much more travel for fully locked brake. The design is as you observed, a screw. So each time you pump the rear brake (via foot) the piston comes out. As the pads wear the piston continues to come out keeping the same feel on the bake lever. So pump it as few times and observe the pads/caliper are they moving freely?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what you mean in regards to pad orientation? Metal to the outside - no other way they can go in. I might need to bleed some more. So screwing the piston in is all you do - no adjustment - it adjusts itself?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I did take the master cylinder apart and cleaned it - it works fine as I had not discovered the bleed screw was clogged. Pumps just fine - do you also bleed the left handle brake in the the same way as the pedal?

·
Super Moderator
6,667 Posts
OEM pads? The hand brake is a cable, but if your brake pedal is soft then re read what I sent you. the caliper has to be correct 1st. the OEM pads have a pin which you align with the groove on the piston. Indicated above!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not OEM - old original pads only had a scratch arm to hear of the pad was worn. I'll have to look for the pin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, so I followed the service manual and replaced the brake pads. I removed the caliper and screwed in the piston aligning the groove with the mark. All went together fine. When bleeding the foot brake I got nothing and in the end the bleeder screw was clogged. Got it bled and have a foot break - not great though. Then I went to adjust the front left handle as it went all the way to the grip. I had to turn the nut almost all the way in to get the handle in the right pressure position, but I have no left handle bar rear brake. It does nothing.

In reading about the pad replacement on this great forum I am thinking perhaps because that front handle brake has so little movement of the cam that I should have turned the piston out slightly until I could not get it over the pads as the initial adjustment. In other words just as close as possible to get it over the pads.

Perhaps this is why I have not front left handle engagement?
78Dave Thanks so much for your thread as my left hand brake wasn't engaging until I set the new pads as close as possible to caliper before assembling and now it works!!Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts