Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello Rincon owners Im new to the page but have a question
I have a 03 that seems to be in limp mode meaning it starts and idles fine but will only go about 20MPH I took it to my dealer and they said it needed a new CAM the lobes were worn down, 1400.00 later got it home and rattled inside. called them up and took it back and when I got home same thing..no rattle but no top speed. took it back to same dealer and they said it sucked the air filter, strange but ok. got it home and guess what? still no high end speed or power. Any ideas what I should look for. also changed out the carb and no luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,832 Posts
How can the dealer let you take it if it is not functioning? Take it back and don’t press them. Take it for a ride B4 you leave their lot. They owe you if you paid for the job. The 03 had an O Ring issue. They fail, the result is low/no oil pressure Did the dealer do an oil pressure test on all 4 ports? 1st what error codes or “blinks” is it flashing?

·
Premium Member
2011 Rincon 680 FA and all stock except for 1 1/2 inch lift for 26 inch tires 5-2 custom rim offset.
15 Posts
How can the dealer let you take it if it is not functioning? Take it back and don’t press them. Take it for a ride B4 you leave their lot. They owe you if you paid for the job. The 03 had an O Ring issue. They fail, the result is low/no oil pressure Did the dealer do an oil pressure test on all 4 ports? 1st what error codes or “blinks” is it flashing?
You would think that someone from that honda shop would have tested it out after that kind of work, when I take my Harley to a dealer the one that worked on it, even if it was just an oil change would take it for a ride for 15 minutes or more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would hope they did but did not take it over 20 MPH I'm leery about taking it back to them but I'm invested with the repair with them

·
Registered
474 Posts
What does the plug look like? Does it rev to the rev limiter in neutral? Sounds like a cam... but my next guess would be fuel issue. I hate messing with old carbs, but with them on an indefinite back order, rebuilding one is the only option...unless you want to try a knock off. Friend of mine tried an amazon special for $70 said it worked great, take that for what its worth...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you Ill keep you posted
it seems like it will not rev high but they replaced the cam and throttle is at max

·
Super Moderator
6,832 Posts
"I have a 03 that seems to be in limp mode meaning it starts and idles fine but will only go about 20MPH "
"also it does not seem to be slipping it seems that it wont rev up it does change gears as it should "

Limp mode is a safety condition where your machine is locked in 2nd. It will not shift.

You indicate it shifts fine. CAM.
If you heard "clunks or other odd sounds" Take the machine back and have a discussion with the tech, including the part where you expect it to be TESTED. The clunk could have been a damaged cam chain guide or a hard part not fastened correctly. Sloppy work at best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dealer said the oil system does not pump to the top of the engine so low RPMs can ware out the cam 500miles since dealer put last cam in. They said Honda recommends a new cam again so its going to be 700 bucks with my discount to put a new one in. I have no choice so Ill let you know when I get it back if they were correct.

·
Super Moderator
6,832 Posts
If your going to pay that much, look at the cam chain, the oil pump chain, both sets of guides, all the bits associated with the cam. As just swapping the cam may last a short while and you'll be doing it all again. The dealer is BS'ing you on the oil to top end. The oil pump puts out plenty of lubrication to the top end. I have plowed for the last 10 years, rather steady, hauled many logs and have no lubrication issues. There are 4 ports where you can test oil pressure. A good idea would be to purchase the service manual, and arm yourself with knowledge. A smart reply to the dealers BS will shut him down real quick, and perhaps get you to the root of the problem.
Good luck!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts