Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to the group. I purchased my first Rincon and have a question. This machine has been sitting awhile and the guy said it jumped time. I tore it down and set the timing correctly using the service manual and it still won't start It acts like it wants to fire and just sputters out. I noticed that the carb seems to be blowing air out when it is trying to start. Just asking is that normal for the Rincon or is there something else I should be looking at. Thanks in advance any help would be great.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Try this. Put the motor on top dead center. It's in the manual for adjusting the valves. Then check the timing again instead of taking it apart again. I believe this will tell you if it's timed right.
At top dead center the valve rocker arms will be a little loose. Check via the timing mark on the left side of the motor. You must remove the inspection plug to se timing marks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try this. Put the motor on top dead center. It's in the manual for adjusting the valves. Then check the timing again instead of taking it apart again. I believe this will tell you if it's timed right.
At top dead center the valve rocker arms will be a little loose. Check via the timing mark on the left side of the motor. You must remove the inspection plug to se timing marks.
Cool thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,667 Posts
Here are the basics. Just the 1st paragraph. (remove the plug for easier movement)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help. It was out of time I set the time and had it running for about 2 minutes and then I think it jumped out of time again. Think it might be the adjuster bad? Other than that think it will be a good machine. Is that one issue they had the cam adjuster going out?

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
If I were going to have it apart, I’d consider new chain, tensioner, and may as well do oil pump chain.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Chain is stretched and the tensioner is probably bad as well. If you replace the chain, go ahead and replace oil pump chain and oil pump orings!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Definitely. Forgot to mention oil pump O rings. Not sure if 2005 was in the range where partly leaking oil pump O rings caused oil pressure to be low enough to cause transmission slipping.

Anyhoo, 15 years old, not that expensive, you are in there anyway...

·
Registered
297 Posts
If I were going to have it apart, I’d consider new chain, tensioner, and may as well do oil pump chain.
Exactly. I just went through this. Originally blamed the tensioner as well but even a new one left the chain loose and noisy, and jumped time on start up. New timing chain and oil chain and she runs like new again. Now is the time to replace the seal for the front driveshaft output shaft too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts