Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My rincon has had a knock that would go away when you would rev the engine. I knew it needed addressing but i never had the time to get around to it. Now the other day i was putting around the neighborhood with the kids on their wheelers (going like 5 mph) and all the sudden the engine sounded like it does at idle (the knock) and it does not go away when you rev the engine. I have a feeling its cam chain related. my question is do i get an aftermarket manual cam chain tensioner off ebay, adjust the one i have (probably shot) or just buy the oem one? If all else fails does the engine need to be pulled to do the timing chain? The wheeler has less than 2k on it.
Thanks, Tim

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
I have some threads on this. IMHO you have 3 choices....

1- tighten the ratchet spring in the old CCT
2- get a new OEM CCT and tighten it also, before wasting your time installing it
3- put a manual aftermarket tensioner in

As for me, mine started rattling around 7,500 miles and I bought a new Honda CCT. My Rincon started rattling again in a few thousand miles. At this point I figured out why the CCT from Honda needs to be tightened a little. I could have done this with my original CCT and saved the money.

I have put manual tensioners on bikes before and they work fine. But, a manual CCT requires an experienced ear to adjust, then it will require future adjusting. With a manual CCT there is very little to go wrong or fail.............you just need to know HOW TO SET IT UP.

Reactions: Oilcan
1 - 2 of 2 Posts