Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2007 Honda Rincon 680. The test drive was fine, no issues. The machine needed some love. I did a full tune up and it ran fine. Then the rain started. Still a bit cool in my neck of the woods, so I laid off of the driver's seat for a week. I jumped on the Rincon this morning with the intent of running any kinks out of the machine. It ran fine until it warmed up completely. When warm the machine would bog down and sputter then almost stall out. Occasionally, the Rincon would stall out. It would start right back up and would run fine at idle and for the first 5 seconds of acceleration. Then it would bog down again. I made it home and decided that the fuel filter must have plugged up. Had a similar incident with my Kawasaki. I was going to order a new fuel filter then on a whim, I went out and started the Rincon up. No issues. Revved the motor up and kept it at medium idle no issues. I am figuring that the issue has to do with the engine temp, but do not know where to start looking for the culprit. Has anyone had this issue?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Agree sounds a bit like fuel starvation. Fuel filter is located with pump in a canister in front of the motor.
Has it got fresh fuel? Is there water in fuel? Is fuel line ok both from tank and to fuel injector? Hopefully not a failed injector.
Also on the list of possible culprits is lack of spark, old plug can break down when hot. Also check plug lead and cap. Cap can be fragile. Correct plug?
If you have fuel and spark then its onto mixture. Has it got a clean oem air filter.
As it seems to be temp related check air box air temp sensor at rear of air box. If disconnected PCM should revert to a default setting. PCM may also rely on engine temp sensing, not sure have to check book.
These are just the inexpensive easy things.
Get a manual if not already. Cheap online although most are scanned from an original and electrical drawings suck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the direction. It has fresh fuel, a new plug [purchased from Honda, hope they gave me the right one], and a new air filter. will check the temp sensor and get a manual. I appreciate the help. I had to drive 90 miles to the nearest Honda shop. Yep, out in the boonies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Temp sensor is fully plugged in and the air intake has plenty of vacuum. I replaced the gas cap because it was cracked... the new one has very little air movement through the breather hose. I am wondering if this could be an issue?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently purchased a 2007 Honda Rincon 680. The test drive was fine, no issues. The machine needed some love. I did a full tune up and it ran fine. Then the rain started. Still a bit cool in my neck of the woods, so I laid off of the driver's seat for a week. I jumped on the Rincon this morning with the intent of running any kinks out of the machine. It ran fine until it warmed up completely. When warm the machine would bog down and sputter then almost stall out. Occasionally, the Rincon would stall out. It would start right back up and would run fine at idle and for the first 5 seconds of acceleration. Then it would bog down again. I made it home and decided that the fuel filter must have plugged up. Had a similar incident with my Kawasaki. I was going to order a new fuel filter then on a whim, I went out and started the Rincon up. No issues. Revved the motor up and kept it at medium idle no issues. I am figuring that the issue has to do with the engine temp, but do not know where to start looking for the culprit. Has anyone had this issue?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Semper Fi: I had the exact same problem over 5 frustrating years. I replaced everything that could be replaced in the fuel system, including the fuel pump, injectors, IAV valve and much more. I replaced every sensor in the cooling system as well as the coolant thermostat. I replaced all temperature sensors. Nothing helped. When my engine got warmer, it would sputter and come to a stop. I'd let it rest for about a minute, and it would fire right up. Finally, I tried removing the black plastic cover which is directly in front of the instrument cluster - wondering if doing so would allow more air to flow down and over components. That helped! But, if I wasn't going very fast, and if I wasn't moving a lot of air over and past the engine and components, I would still have intermittant stalls. Finally, I asked a friend if I could borrow the ECM (Control Module) from his Rincon so that I could see if that would fix the problem. It fixed it!!! I gave the ECM back to my friend and bit the bullet and paid around $500 for a new one and installed the new ECM in my Rincon. Problem Solved......new ECM! ECM's aren't cheap, but if you search around on the internet, you can save yourself over $300 on one. I hope this works for you as it did for me. Good Luck/

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Checking to see if it is the fuel cap would be simple- when it acts up, crack the cap enough to let air in and see if that was the cure.

These machines are known to have the fuel pump overheat and cut out when the filter is clogged, however, so I bet that is the issue.

06-07 I think came with a round filter that sits in the bottom of the canister. Later they started using a rectangular filter that sits vertically (I presume to not be drawing from any water/sediment that could have settled in the bottom).

Anyway, there was a part number that came with the new style filter, and a different plastic lower bracket that holds the pump motor- and has the port for the filter in the location for the new style filter.

After that update, there is a part number for just the newer rectangular filter.

I think I have a video if you need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just finished a grueling work week. Have received a new filter and gaskets. Also checked the ECM/CDI. It is cracked along the casing, so I bit the bullet and purchased a new one. Hopefully, this will fix the issue. I will let let you know when I do an extended test drive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Replaced the ECM/CDI and noticed immediately that the machine idles considerably smoother. Removed the fuel filter and updated it with the newer type that doesn't draw off the bottom. I thought that it was a carbon filter at first, it was filthy. I went OCD on the housing inside and out. She is clean and shiny now. Put the entire assembly together carefully, making sure that I didn't pinch the o-rings. I ran out of daylight and will complete the assembly tomorrow. Thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have run the machine for two hours straight at varying rpms. Glad to say no issues. The problem seems to be fixed. On a whim I ran a drill bit into the vent on the top of the new gas cap by hand. What came out looked like left overs from the injection molding. The cap now has decent flow. Thank you guys for all the help. I don't know if you guys are Marines, but you act like it. Semper Fi, Do or die!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts