Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im posting this problem so the world knows something the service manual fails to mention about no spark. When diagnosing your rincon with no spark following troubleshooting or performing all tasks under ignition system chapter in the manual, no where does it mention anything about the map sensor having anything to do with the spark or ignition system. I have a parts bike to compare with so i spent a week solid diagnosing every wire and sensor related in the ignition system back and forth from bike to bike with no problems found. So i started checking various other sensors around the motor just as a precaution for problems and found no problems until i swapped map sensors on the throttle body and "Jesus" appeared!!!! I turned motor over and spark appeared! Now the manual doesn't give any information on testing the map sensor, just to replace if removed. So ill mention what symptoms i had with my bike before it lost spark. My bike started fouling my spark plug and not idling anymore while i was out riding when it was just fine and turned off for a pit stop. The problem then kept comin and going like something was about to fail. So once home as i was diagnosing the problem and my bike stopped running completely with no spark. After countless hours of testing about to give up, i figured ill swap that sensor, after changing everything else why not.. right? So now you know something thats not in the honda service manual for troubleshooting no spark problem or fouling spark issues. So im very happy but have to reassemb my bike now..lol..good luck everybody and if you have any questions, hit me up..i have experience with many honda bikes.

·
Super Moderator
6,718 Posts
I guess the service manual "assumes" you understand the workings of the MAP sensor... If you don't, then your in trouble. Time should be spent doing not guessing.
What is a map sensor.....When at rest, the MAP sensor reads atmospheric pressure at sea level (29.93 in. Hg). Because atmospheric pressure varies with weather and altitude, the ECM calculates this “zero” point just before the engine starts, fine-tuning spark and fuel injection mapping from that point
Troubleshooting a MAP sensor.....
A bad manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor can upset fuel delivery and ignition timing. Depending on your vehicle model, your engine might experience one or more of these performance problems:
  • Rich air-fuel ratio
  • Lean air-fuel ratio
  • Surging
  • Poor fuel economy
  • It won't start
  • Lack of engine power
  • Stalling
  • Detonation and misfire
However, these symptoms are not exclusively symptoms of a failed MAP sensor. Sometimes, a bad sensor may trigger the check engine light (CEL). If a trouble code has been stored on the computer memory indicating a problem with the MAP sensor, it's a good idea to actually test the sensor to confirm that the problem lies with the sensor and not some other related component.

Troubleshooting a MAP sensor is a straightforward procedure, I am not typing the procedure here. You will be using a digital multimeter (DMM) and a hand-held vacuum pump. If you don't have the pump or DMM, your local auto parts store may lend you one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If the MAP sensor is disconnected does the PCM use a default value that would allow reasonable running? Wouldn't be perfect but at least not intermittent or completely wrong.
Interested to know for future reference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts