Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put new fuel pump new injector new spark plug. Took top end down and verified timing. Set valves to spec. Atv will only run if i squirt fuel into the intake but once it runs out of that it dies again

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Well, since it runs when you squirt in fuel, one can assume it has both spark, and compression.

I think I’d see if the fuel pump is actually moving fuel. If not, see if it is getting power, or obstructed screen in the tank or other problem.

If that proves ok, then I’d wonder if the injector isn’t getting pulses.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I turn key hear fuel pump cut on. Take the injector out of intake and leave it plugged in, turn key and press start button and injector pulse squirts. Squirt gas into the intake and press start and it pulses and once it cranks and runs the injector squirts fuel like its suppose to. Remove injector from hose and turn key gas will shoot out of the hose. So pressure is there and injector is working properly

·
Super Moderator
6,524 Posts
There is a fuel pump relay that may be shutting down. Also there is a strainer in the bottom of the tank. I have to ask.... Why tear down the top end to verify timing?

FUEL PUMP RELAY
INSPECTION
Remove the battery and battery case (pag e 20·6). I"
Disconnect the relay module BP (Gray) connector.
'\
Connect an ohmmeter to the 8P (Gray) connector of
the module side connector terminals. RELAY MODULE SP (GRAY) CONNECTOR
(Module side of male terminal )
6-38
Connection: Black/y e llow - Violet
Connect the 12V battery to the 8P (Gray ) connector
of the module side connector terminals .
Connection: Yellow/ black - Yellow/blue
There should be continuity only when the 12V battery
is connected.
If there is no continuity when the 12V battery is connected,
replace the fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tore down top end just to verify I set timing correctly. Customer brought it in after swamping it. Said they took head down to piston to look and see if he could see anything. I took down replaced gaskets and piston along with rings. If the fuel pump relay was shutting down wouldnt it not spray out of injector?

·
Super Moderator
6,524 Posts
There is an inspection port on the right side for timing. (pull the plug, use the pull cord and watch for the T in the window). Did you test the relay? I'd be looking for a short, or wire rub that is effecting the relay. Grounding/wire rub /relay power would all be considerations. I provided a test above.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And that inspection port just shows the t for top dead center. Has nothing to do with the actual timing of the cam

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
So the injector is working but it will only run if you squirt in extra fuel, if I understand correctly?

Could the idle air controller be hung up, or could you have an air leak in the intake? Thinking if it is letting in too much air, it might be too lean to start with the normal amount of air.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've taken the tps off cleaned it and put it back on. Tightened all the intake boots after checking for rips or tears or anything. Try cranking with airbox fully closed and sealed still nothing. Take airbox lid off pull filter squirt gas in. Close lid crank it up it will run until the sprayed gas is gone then dies.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Well, you’ve got me. I wonder if someone wit a scope could plot spark, injector pulse, IAC signal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got no clue. I told customer I did everything I can do and I can't get it to run so he is coming to get it and taking it to a honda dealer

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Please post back if you hear what the problem turns out to be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got it figured out. Apparently just changing the internal fuel pump wasn't enough. I bought a complete fuel pump assembly and installed it and she fired right up. There was a pin in the wiring harness to the ecu that was loose but that ended up being something to do with the headlights because now they work

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Glad you got it running. Assume it got new filter with the pump change.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts