Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Im having a issue with my 2015 Rincon and hoping for some help. I have searched the forum but couldn't find if this issue had been addressed before or not. Once it gets hot it will start lunging while setting still. The speed display will also show random speeds simultaneously with the lunging. Not sure if Im having a speed sensor issues or exactly what may be going on. Any info and help is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
Engine creep- is not good. Your manual will guide you through oil pressure testing and other possibilities. If it has been a mud pig, a good idea would be to remove all your sensor connectors, clean contacts, remove water if they are wet (which can do all kinds of weird things) basically remove the side covers (around the tank for access) and inspect the harness, cleaning each connector as you move from front to back. Start with the IACV as it can malfunction (dirty) and when the idle is unstable, the ATV may want to move with out you on it (Creeping) Taken from an 07-2011 manual (I don't have the latest yet)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the assistance. I rode it long enough today to allow it to get up to temperature. Fan seems to cut on and off as it should. Whats is so odd is that the speed on the display will start jumping around while sitting still. Ive seen it go as high as 90. As soon as I put it into gear and attempt to move, the speed will jump up high and the engine dies.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
Speed sensor? ECM? Time to dive into the troubleshooting section of the service manual.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
I'd also go over the connections under your meter. Remove that snapped on front cover and look inside the big connector that the meter plugs into. If it's wet in there the moisture may be shorting pins, which would give you similar display issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you aware of any instances of a PCM getting excessively hot and acting up? The ATV only has issues once it is hot. The PCM is mounted in close proximity of the radiator and the PCM gets very hot to the touch. I disconnected the rear speed sensor connector and the three on the PCM. Everything seemed to look good. I also checked the voltages at the rear speed sensor connector and they were good. When it started acting up today it would die as well. Very strange.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well...I believe I may have fixed it. I relocated the PCM away from the excessive heat of the radiator. There was enough slack in the harness to mount the PCM in the toolbox. I covered the toolbox with reflective heat shield from autozone. I rode it around some then let it sit and idle for an hour or more. Fan cut on and off as it should and the PCM mounted in the toolbox got a little warm to the touch but nothing like it would when mounted out by the radiator. Everything remained normal. No crazy speeds came up on the display or shutting down. Hopefully I am good to go now. Fingers crossed. Thanks for your help.
PCM1.jpg PCM2.jpg PCM3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
As a test for heat, grab a can of cold spray (for electronic testing) when it starts going crazy, spray the module with cold spray and observe. If it stabilizes after the cold shot, that would indicate a failing unit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts