Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to buy new tires and wheels this winter and I'm looking for some advice. I'm leaning towards 27" ITP M/S with aluminum wheels. Can anyone share there experience with these and maybe suggest tire widths for front and back. I ride pretty slow and spend a lot of time on tight(non-existant) trails, mud, and water crossings. Also, I'm concerned about these tires rubbing on the fenders or any other hard parts. All advice is appreciated. ~Ross

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm very happy with my 26" ITP 589's. Watch the width, caused by the rim you select, if you're on narrow trails. No problems at all with rubbing anything. Slight power loss. Filter and jet kit being installed to offset power lost by tires/rims. A few labeled pictures of the 589's in profile. Sounds like I do similiar riding as you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skip1...your photos look like the typical stuff we muck through around here. I hate being the only guy to go around the mud pits instead of through them. I ride bikes when I wanna go fast...the Rincon is a much less bloody alternative. Can you tell me what size tires you're running? Thanks, ~Ross

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ross, I am extremely pleased with my 589's. They do make for a wide track but that also makes for more stability and they do not fall into ruts as easy. Overall I am very pleased. I will more than likely find me a trail tire to run in the winter on my stock rims. I dont want to eat up the tread on the 589's when I know I am not going to be diving into any deep mud holes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ross, I am very happy with my 589's I do the same riding as you described. I am running 26x9x12 in the front and 26x12x12 in the rear this is the size I would suggest, because if you go with 27's you are going to lose alot of power I lost some power with the 26's but I was able to make it up plus some with a jet kit and filter and exhaust. I can go places now in two wheel drive that it took four wheel drive before. What ever size you choose you want be disappointed with the 589's.

·
Registered
807 Posts
RossB...If you want traction and height use whatever size you want. I run the 589's in 27" and 28" on my Rincons and they are great. You will have to do some bending & relocating of the front fender support for the 28's. The tires will trim the rear mudflaps automatically if your don't. I used ITP wheels and they do widen the track about 4 inches. You'll lose some acceleration but the top end should not be affected that much. The speedo will indicate the speed incorrectly. the tires are larger in diameter and travel farther per revolution, hence, making up the speed. If speed is critical, use a GPS to indicate actual speed. I have over 1000 miles and the tires are barely worn. I have even ridden for a couple weeks with nails sticking out and no air loss. They are stiffer in the turns too. I do mud, trails, street, rocks, woods, etc (riding really hard too)....no snow yet. I have tried several other different tires and I immediately change back to the 589's. BTW, both of my Rinnys will wheelie too. Have a good one.....

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ross, My son and I both have the same tire size as 04RinconMan. Mine are on C series rims. MY son has C 5 series rims. For me the width increased about 2-4". The width on my son's increased about 6-8". I really like these tires for the kind of riding I do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts