Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just thought I'd post a report now that I've passed the 4000 mile mark on my 2003 Rincon; the odometer now reads 4094 miles. I will explain what problems I have experienced, as well as write a general review of my Rincon to this point.

First, let's start with the problems. The following is a list of parts I have replaced to this point. This does not include wear items such as fluids, filters, sealing washers, boots, etc.

1) oil pump o-rings

note: o-rings failed at 1800 miles, Honda covered parts and labour under warranty even though machine was 6 months passed warranty period

2) ummmm... wait a second, that's it! The only parts (apart from wear items) I have replaced on my Rincon in 4094 miles are the oil pump o-rings

Regarding wear items, here is the list of replaced parts

1) regular oil & filter changes

2) regular front and rear differential oil changes

3) regular air filter cleaning and re-oiling

4) drain bolt sealing washers & o-rings

5) 2 cv boots

6) 1 u-joint boot

note 1: I am still on the original rear brake pads; they will last at least another 1000 miles

note 2: the front drums have never leaked and will send me over the handlebars if I'm not careful

I checked my Rincon from head to toe and have noticed the following parts will need to be replaced

1) rear output shaft seal; oil is slowly dribbling passed the seal

2) rear brake disc assembly; rivets holding brake disc to center hub have loosened (there is absolutely nothing wrong with the actual brake disc)

This machine is as tough as they come. I have beaten the living crap out of it basically since the day I bought it. I jump it, ride wheelies, hold it WOT for 15-20 minutes at a time, and it just seems to come back for more. I am certainly not what you would call a hardcore mudder, but I do ride mud when I have to and it does amazingly well for an ATV with no low range, no diff lock and low ground clearance. Needless to say, if all I ever rode is mud I would not own a Honda Rincon. Ditto for heavy towing. But for basically everything else, this Rincon is hard to beat. I can ride for hours and hours and not feel tired. I can ride at 50+ mph down tight trails while other big bores can't seem to follow me. The Rincon certainly isn't the most powerful ATV in the world, but it makes the most out of what power it does have. Did I mention that the Rincon is just plain fun to ride? It is simply a pleasure to operate.

I will be riding the Rincon for at least another year, until I see what Honda has up their sleeve. If Honda builds a bigger ATV with more performance, I will be all over it. However, other OEM's already offer the level of performance I am after so it's up to Honda to step up to the plate. I just have to see if other OEM's offer the same level of reliability...

That's it for now!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the info
Its nice to hear so many positive comments about the Rinny.
I am not a hard rider or a big mud rider and my 03 Rinny is quite a machine.
I wish it had a bull low, thats not a fault in the machine...... you need to buy a machine for your particular riding likes or dislikes. I am yet to be convinced the other makes are more reliable. I do think Honda needs to move though as far as meeting the customer needs.
Anyway thanks the thread
Jim

·
Registered
338 Posts
just hit 4000 miles on mine this weekend too..

only mechanical problem was a waterpump at about 1500 miles.

wear items have been many..(non have been hondas fault)

oil filters,oil..
front and rear diff fluids.
coolant,brake fluids

4 sets of rear brakes pads.(i only get 800 miles per set)lots of extreme hill descends
4 sets of front disc brake pads(changed over when it had 0 miles)
1 rear cv boot(thank you mr stick)
1 rear inner cv joint
3 sets of rims(the rocks are brutal on these rims,thank god for e-bay..lol..)

these items listed next are the direct results of a bad set of tires that kept going flat which caused excessive stress on these front end parts.

2 outer tie rods.
4 lower ball joints
2 upper control arms..
2 sets of front bearings and seals..

funny how after i got the tires replaced,all those items above have not had a single problem in over 2000,before that i was doing something every 400-500 or every 2 weekends..(same riding area)

anyway this has been one awesome machine,has been ultra reliable and never left me stranded or missed a ride because it was broke..

i to am like ATVtech,hoping that by summer honda drops the bomb about the 06 model,all i want,would be a rincon with EFI,stock disc brakes,adjustable shocks and a factory locker(only because if i am paying premo $$$ i want all the features too)on demand enige braking would be cool too,sort of like the lockers on the others,just flip a switch and presto you have rubicon like engine braking,other than that i am happy,i don't want or need bigger cc,i can go faster now than i need too and the rincon has never failed to go for lack of power where i ride..windrock(oliver springs tn..)

just a side not i had a 2001 rubicon with 3500 miles and it is funny how the same parts on it except for the waterpump amd rear brake shoes needed the same attention at the same riding areas..there is a reason it is called windROCK...lol

·
Registered
280 Posts
I read an article in a small business magazine from early last summer about a ATV rental place out west that had several 03 Rincons with 11,000+ miles on them, and very little repair or replacement had been done(no specifics given). No overheating or trany o-ring problems were mentioned. They were planning to replace all their other brands of ATVs (Yamaha and Polaris) next spring with 05 Rincons. One hell of a testament to the Rincon. It was that article that made me decide on a Rinny.

·
Registered
228 Posts
ATVtech,

What kind of motor oil do you use?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rinny03, I use Honda GN4 in the summer and Honda HP4 0W30 the rest of the year. I don't ride in the middle of winter though.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot something in the list of replaced wear items.

7) two sets of stock tires

1 - 7 of 7 Posts