Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I’m pretty new to the Rincon world. I’ve had foreman’s for years. I’m having trouble with my 04 660 Rincon

I recently replaced the stator, starter, starter clutch. Had it running real well.
the other day it was sitting idling to warm up when it stalled out. Now it won’t start. I have great spark & fuel is being delivered. I even swapped carbs of my friends running machine to be sure. It won’t fire at all. Even with starting fluid. Just gives a good backfire after a bit.
I pulled the engine out again and was thinking maybe the timing chain jumped. Does that seem logical? I would think it would just run poorly though.
Has anyone come across this situation before? I don’t want to tear the motor down if there is something less intrusive.
Thank you for listening to my problem
Alex

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I’ll try the plug in another machine. Is there anyway to check timing with the motor on the bench? The manual says I need it running but...
I hope it is just a plug. I pulled the head off last night but stopped and thought I’d ask people who know before I went any further as the chain seems to have ample tension so it didn’t look broke or anything

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I’ve ruled out the plug now as well as the plug boot. I didn’t realize it had an NGK plug boot like some sled had in the day. I swapped both the plug & the boot onto a running Rincon and it ran fine with both

·
Registered
75 Posts
To confirm its not electrical connect the plug but lay it on the motor and observe the spark as you turn it over.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To confirm its not electrical connect the plug but lay it on the motor and observe the spark as you turn it over.
What am I looking for? Colour ?strength? I know it has good spark but are you suggesting perhaps the stator is failing to produce a proper spark? I just replaced it but I know that that mean nothing with electrical parts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I’ve ruled out the coil now. Swapped it with the good Rincon & no change. The good Rincon runs fine.
when I spin it over, it just keeps cranking then after a bit I get a shotgun blast out of the tailpipe. Neighbours are going to start wondering what I’m taking target practice at pretty soon

·
Super Moderator
6,718 Posts
Here is a page indicating the basic timing procedure using the recoil starter (plug removed) The window is on the right side of the motor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, looks like I was reading 20-8 for ignition timing in the manual. That’s where it says to have it running. I was looking for any timing information and that’s what came up. I guess I need to practice reading my manual a little better. I’ll try your section of the manual this time as it seems to make more sense for my situation.
Any idea how the timing would get knocked out so far just by idling and warming up? It just died, then when I went over to restart it there was nothing

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven’t pulled it yet. I do have a new tensioner & chain on the shelf that I will be putting in. The machine has 10k on it so I would assume it’s time to change those out anyways. The other running Rincon has a slapping noise. From what I’ve read, that sounds like the same issue? It’s got 6k on it but I think they were hard miles judging from the wear on that machine

·
Super Moderator
6,718 Posts
The "ignition" timing assumes the engine runs. Prior to that, static check the timing as described above. Once you have it statically timed (with the plug out so you can easily rotate the motor with the pull cord), reassemble it and now you can verify the static job with a strobe light and a tiny tach. The tensioner can be reset. Corndog did a good write up on how to do that. If after the tensioner was reset you still hear that slapping noise there are a couple things to consider. Worn cylinder creating piston skirt slap, or indeed the chain stretched and the tensioner is not doing it's job (now making noise because it is extended fully. Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you, I’ll try to get to it again tonight. When I checked the other day, the / has Mack’s looked to be in line with the top of the jug which seems like a good sign. I’ll pull that cover off & see where that little T is at.
I would assume it would have had to jump a few teeth to make it totally inoperable? Is there a chance that I could have bent a valve as well in this motor? I know some motors do & some don’t. Just something else to check if I need to But hopefully don’t have to

·
Super Moderator
6,718 Posts
I think your gunna have it apart again soon, so instead of guessing, after you get it ready to replace the chain and tensioner. Via what you see when you "go in" we will know what happened. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Turns out the tensioner wasn’t working properly. Chain jumped. So I got the new tensioner in and got the timing set but now it barely turns over. The starter is working real hard to spin it 1 revolution at a time. When I pull the cord it is nearly impossible to get out. If I pull slowly it will give then back to crazy pull. I believe that it is hitting the compression stroke, then releases a bit on exhaust stroke. I’ve been reading bits & pieces about the decompressor on the cam being an issue. Is there something I may have done to cause this? Is there a trick or fix that I can try? It was spinning fine until I set the timing. I’m real confused right about now because I have no idea what I may or may not have done.
Sorry for the long post but I’m tired and more frustrated than you can imagine.
Thanks for any insight anyone may have. I can’t be the only one who has experienced this I’m sure

·
Super Moderator
6,718 Posts
If you remove the plug try the pull start, should be easy, if not, undo what you took apart and see if you missed something. Sounds like a bind, did you use a new Honda tensioner?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It pulls easily with no plug. I used a new Honda tensioner and retried the old one as well. Same result

·
Registered
223 Posts
Did you say this machine has 10 k on it?
If so IMO you should rebuild it.
If the cam chain jumped a new tensioner may not work for long because the cam chain is stretched to much.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts