Honda Rincon Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,718 Posts
It pulls easily with no plug. I used a new Honda tensioner and retried the old one as well. Same result
Then, I would suggest your timing is some degree of 180 out.

10K is nothing for these machines. My rebuild (top end) was around 30K . I'll dig up some photos, the piston looked brand new, rings were in spec, but my cam decompression mech had seized. I could have gotten away with just a new cam but threw good money at it anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I agree with you. It likely needs a rebuild. I gave a new chain for it but I wanted to get this timing thing figured out first so I know there’s not a bigger issue before I pull it out to put the new chain in. Now I’ve got this binding issue that I need to sort before I start throwing more money at it. When I get this figured out then I’ll order o-rings & oil chain. I’m hoping I don’t need a new cam. This one doesn’t look worn like some I’ve seen. I think there’s likely something simple that’s causing this issue. I’ve looked around quite a bit on other sites and have seen this issue before but, it seems no one posts the results on if or how they corrected it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Then, I would suggest your timing is some degree of 180 out.

I will reverse the timing tonight and see what happens. Can’t get any worse. Also I’ll give the manual another good read because I may have overlooked something simple

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
When I line up the T on the flywheel, should the piston be TDC?
Mine was definitely not when I lined it up last night. The pics in the manual seem to show he piston at/near top. Mine was probably about 1/2 way down the cylinder

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So I flipped the cam 180* with no change in the binding. Now I pulled the cam and looked at the decompressor. It doesn’t work smoothly. It appears to be out of round so you have to physically align it with that tiny spring to operate. Obviously this is bad news for me. I’ve read around and seen bits of text of getting rid of it but I can’t find any reviews after the fact. Has anyone taken theirs off and if so did it affect the running? The cam itself looks good (I don’t know how it specs) but it isn’t rounded at all like some I’ve seen searching for this thing. I don’t want to drop $350 for a new cam into this for that decompressor since you can’t buy it separately that I’ve seen
Anyone have opinions?

·
Super Moderator
6,718 Posts
yes, go back and redo the timing, if it was 90 out and you flipped the cam, you are still 90 out. Follow the manual, it is correct.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So I got back to wrenching tonight. I decided to pull the head off the running Rincon & compare side by side. When I had both set up with the flywheel timing mark, the running one was pretty much TDC (or real close) the non running one was about 1.25” down in the jug. There’s something wonky with the flywheel marks. I set the non running one to match up with the running one and set the cam up with the timing marks. Put the head back on and it fired!
In the meantime I’ve broken the decompressor on the cam. I thought it might have been a bit malleable & maybe I could form it back to operate properly. I was wrong. It flew across the garage. Now I’m into a new cam that I’ll have to order tomorrow ☹
Has anyone ever run into flywheel marks not being right? Seems messed up to me, but I’ve seen it with my own eyes now. Guess just something to consider if you’re ever having unexplainable timing issues

·
Super Moderator
6,718 Posts
Awesome, and thanks for coming back to report. The old vs new chain/tensioner differences would be nice to know too.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts