Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a ride last night were I swamped the rincon in about 5 feet of water... I pulled the carb off to clean out any fish etc that might be inside and thought, what the hell, lets kick it up a notch, and installed the DJ #148 main jet, I set the A/F at 2 turns, and fired the machine up....

Now it realy seems to haul, i didnt get a chance to go for a good test ride, but here is the real point of this thread...

the machine sits idleing, its sounds like a good strong, maybe even slightly high idle... every now and then, either with my help by feathering the throttle, or all by itself, it sounds as tho the idle drops a few rpm, and this "hammering" sound eminates from the exhaust header, almost like its fireing with the exhaust valve open, or ??

anyone got any idea what this sound is ? and what to do about it ?

here is my current setup

Uni-Filter
Stock exhaust
DJ #148
2 turns on the A/F
removed plastic baffle

·
Registered
102 Posts
Try anywhere from 2 1/2 to 3 turns out on your mixture screw it may help.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sounds a little lean to me too!

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, now im so damn pissed Im ready to put it all back to stock..!!

So I set the A/F to 3 turns...

it appears to launch very well no big wheelies, but its pulling the front end off the ground

it idles nicely, albeit a high idle

but now that farking thing stalls on inclines, and it seems to stall when I stop abrubtly...I have turned the throttle stop screw to bring up the idle, but its definatley idleing quite high... I can drive down steep inclines, say into a ditch, but I cant drive up the same incline and stop on it without the engine stalling... so now what, back off (screw in the A/F) and 1/8 of a turn at a time till it stops ?

what was that baffle supposed to do ? was it supposed to stop this from happening ?

will the rincon ever run right ?

currently here is the setup

DJ main #148
Uni-filter
3 turns
removed baffle from main
2nd notch on needle

IM going to pull the carb apart tomorrow and put in the #146 as Im thinking the 148 with stock exhaust has got to be too much... I will start at 2.5 turns, and go for a ride... with any luck, all is well...does anyone have any info they can share so I can get this beast running right...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't know what elevation you are at but when I had my stock exhaust I ran the DJ #146 main jet and had the E-Clip in the 3rd slot with all the stock washers and spacers and the mixture screw was anywhere from 2 1/2 to 3 turns out. I really couldn't tell much differance in the 1/2 turn.

When ever you get tried of messing with it, just call highlifter and order you the supertrapp exhaust and then put the DJ #150 main in it and the clip on the 2nd slot with the mixture 2 1/2 turns out And I almost forgot be sure to put all 12 disc in the exhaust, then it will run like a bat out of hell, mine does I have never been so pleased with my rincon. Need anymore help let me know.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mudchucker,

Did you install the 2" tip? If you did, you have the same problems I do. The jet kit worked really well @ first, but when I added the tip, It all went to hell.

Still going to play with both of the jets as soon as I get the time. The one intersting thing about the jets though, the dealer says there are not any options for replacements other than the ones that come in ALL Rincons no matter the elevation....Does not make any sense to me because that would mean the only adjustments would be the a/f adjustment.

???????????

·
Registered
241 Posts
I installed the 2 inch tip and the DJ kit at the same time and have had no stalling problems. Good luck.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Elevation?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts