Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of an aluminum mag for the Rincon in a 12x7 with the same offset as the factory wheels?? I don't want the added width like the ITP type C.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
According to Maxxis, their wheels are supposed to have the correct offset, I havent seen a Rincon with the Maxxis wheels on it.
Who needs wheels with a Rincon like this??

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have had the Maxxis 8 spoke wheels on my Rincon for over a year now. They now recommend +15mm offset on all 4 corners. I was the first to bring it to their attention that the original recommendation of +15 on front and -37 for the rear looked great but put more than 1/2 the rear wheel out from under the fender and the promptly exchanged the -37 rear wheels for +15's.I am running Mudlite 26-12-10's on front and 26-12-12's on the rear, so the rear is 1 inch wider than the front and have got hung up sometimes in the woods because of it. Here is a pic and more in my members’ page.

Okie

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know what the factory wheels offset is? ITP lists the C series type 4 as 2" from outside 5" from inside. Factory's gotta be different. My Rinny is 4" wider with the ITP. Maxis uses a different numbering system. I can't find the offset for the factory rims anywhere. Help!! I want mags without the added width.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The factory rims are 6" wide on front and 7.5" on the rear. The Maxxis 8 spoke rims are 7" wide. I just measured a stock rear wheel with a straight edge set across the wheel, the depth to the axle bolt face was 5 3/4" and a Maxxis 8 spoke was 4 1/2". Maxxis told me that they measure there offset in millimeters. So the bolt face of a +15mm wheel should be 15mm to the street side of the centerline of the wheel, and the -35mm and -47mm should have the bolt face 35mm and 47mm to the axle side of the centerline ( for a wide track or deep dish look) The +15 offset Maxxis rims move the tire out a little,but then I went with 10" wide in front and 12" wide tires in the rear. If I had to do it all over again I would put 10" wide tires all the way around

·
Registered
26 Posts
Okie,

What did you do with the rubber plug on the front brake drum when you installed the 8 spokes? Does the wheel flange cover the adjustment hole? I'm thinking of going to the Maxxis Bighorn radials and 8 spokes on my 05 Rincon. Do you still recommend using the 10's all the way around? What about the new 27's?

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
When I mounted my Douglas wheels on the old 450s I took a razor blade and trimmed the rubber hole plugs flush with the brake drum. The new wheels just covered them up. You want to keep the hole plugged.You can still remove them with a little screw driver, after you remove the wheels.

Now to something controversial. The Honda Rinny IRS rear end uses wheels with a lot more offset than straight axle machines. The wheel guys are just now catching on. It is very important to match the stock wheel offset with the Rinny. The wheel mounting flange should have the correct offset so it is very closely centered over the wheel bearing assembly to prevent putting bending loads into the bearings. The wheel offset is what makes this happen. If your wheels stick out too far, you are increasing the streess on the bearings a lot.Picture a line through the center of your tire/wheel slicing it in half like a bagel . This line should be very close to the center of the rear wheel bearing assembly. Most aftermarket wheels have too much dish to them and cause the wheels to stick out to far. The wheel guys just tell you to put there front rims on the rear also, which is fine if you want 7 inch wheels all around. Personally, I have stuck with the stock black wheels until somebody gets it right. Sounds like Maxxis may be there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeah, I'm pretty familar with positive and negative offsets and the damages the improper offset can cause with bearings, etc. According to Maxxis, the 7 inch +15 offset has a slightly more negative offset than the stock rim but should work fine.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Thats great to hear. Not many people understand that the wheels being offset wider may not be a good thing. The Rinny is hard to roll over as is. I am really interested in the Maxxis wheels, the stockers are kind of plain Jane.

This may sound weird, but when I was trying to decide on my new scoot I tried all the ATVs. One of my most important criteria was which one was hardest to pick the side up on. The BF and Grizzly ain't to hard for my office worker wimpy ass to grab the floor boards and flip them over on their sides. Narrow machine + high ground clearance = easier roll-over.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Maxxis are 1.25" inches wider offset each wheel for a 2.5" overall addition to the width of the Rincon. So Far no-one has the stock Factory offset. Why the difference is more than likely marketing. Most aftermarket wheels are either 2+5 or 5+2 offset with 7" wide rims. It appears that it is just easier to manufacture the wheels with an offset that can be used on many different models. Also you can use the 7" rim front or back on the Rincon because they are the same (marketing again). However the stock ones are different. As said above, the fronts are 6" and the rears are 7.5". If I don't find a aftermarket mag type wheel available, I may consider trading my ITP type 4's for stock rims. Anyone interested? This is all more info than I really wanted to know about offsets. And more than all the suppliers of wheels knew either. That didn't surprise me.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
I hear you SXflyer, thats why I kept the stockers.There good wheels, just are not pretty.

·
Registered
338 Posts
i now have a set of grizzly stock wheels,they should hold up better than the rincon stocks...i don't go for looks,i want function first..heck its an atv,its suppose to be dirty and scratched up...

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Grizzly wheels, but why my friend? Bet they are the first thing to break. Just kidding, I have heard this change before. What do you accomplish? Lighter, stronger?

·
Registered
338 Posts
i have had a ton of problems with the stock rincon wheels(4 sets now)because they are rolled inward,once you compromise the outer bead area it will leak anywhere on that rim,not just were the bend or ding is(we ride a lot of rocks at very aggressive speeds)...but the grizzly wheels are rolled outward,so the area that is in contact with the tire bead would be very hard to make leak,my buddy with the grizz has never had any problems with his wheels in over 7500 miles at windrock,he also has not had any other real problems either,i am very impressed with the grizz...

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Good to know, are they aluminum? We have been riding more dirt than rocks and haven't managed to bend one yet. Once the stock tires came off my ATRs do a much better job of keeping the beads protected. We run 5-7 psi in rocks too.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have a decent bend on my stock rim around the bead and it was leaking all around until I put bead sealer on. No problems with it anymore.
BTW Im running 26"x 12's on rear and 10's on front.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts