Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, it’s kind of a stupid question. And I’m pretty much expecting the answer to be I have to open it up. But I’ve got an 04 Rincon. It’s been modded exactly like it is now since my aunt originally bought it in like 07. It has rubicon suspension and I believe lift springs as well, 26” tires, K&N filter, and some sort of exhaust that definitely isn’t stock. I’ve always know it has good power, but I’m starting to question I’d it’s not internally modified as well. The main 2 reasons why I say this are...

1: I’ve hit 70mph on it. Especially with the big tires, that seems impressive considering the top speed is supposed to be 62ish stock. I suspect I could push 75 out of it, just haven’t tried. And...

2: I recent beat a mildly built 300ex on the drag strip that had a guy smaller than me riding it. He for sure had external motor mods, and he said it had a cam and mild bore kit on it. That’s a 300 some pound quad with a 200lb guy on it getting beaten by my 6-700lb quad with my fat ass 300lb on it. Not to mention the 3 speed transmission and big tires vs the 5 speed and smaller tires.

I also have absolutely no issues pulling the front wheels, even when already moving. I’ve pulled power wheelies at 10mph on flat ground before.

Thoughts? I’m not sure what a cam sounds like on these but I’m thinking I’ve got a cam at least, if not a big bore kit too.

·
Super Moderator
6,524 Posts
The Rincon weights 600 lbs dry and has under 38 HP... The carb would not let you do a wheelie past 1st gear... so yea, someone has put thousands in it to get that extra 2 or 3 HP.... If it does 70 then your probably still using the factory gear set (as opposed to a reduction) However, gears and wheel size can be configured so who knows what your sitting on. I'll wager that with the 26" tires and your stock gears with a well tuned carb and possibly the big piston/cam kit (712 cc) is what you have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. So if I’ve got a cam and 712 kit, what kind of horsepower would that be? 50? 60? More? I’ll probably do a compression check to see what it’s at. I never run cheap gas in power sports anyway, I always run 93 shell or Sunoco. My aunts dad use to use it around the property pulling his 6x12 trailer full of firewood from the woods up the hill to the house. Had no issues doing that, but I think he would put cheap gas in it because every time we picked it up from him, it would start to break up in the higher RPMs. Once we topped it off with fresh 93, it was all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
12,361 Posts
No way 50 or 60.. Id say maybe 5 more than stock on a good day.
Are you calculating top speed with a GPS? Taller tires will get you a higher top speed than smaller ones, but take longer to get there.

·
Super Moderator
6,524 Posts
I didn't say that.. I made an assumption based on what you said. 50-60 HP not a chance... you'd be lucky to see 40. I run 26" heavy XTR's and can do 68/70 down hill. Also on pulling a wheelie.... your a heavy guy, when your weight is shifted to the rear it would be easier for you than me to get it to lift while moving.... try that wheelie with yer balls hugging the tank ;) .... only way I'd believe it is with a video....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
60cc more than stock and a cam wouldn’t even give 10hp more? That sounds like a waste of money imo. I’m going by the stock speedo. I’m not claiming it’s accurate, just using it as a reference. Also, larger tires than stock would make the speedo read lower than the actual speed, if it was accurate with stock tires. I’ll try to get a video of a rolling wheelie with me sitting forward on the seat

·
Administrator
12,361 Posts
CC's is displacement.. a 712 kit vs a 680 is a 32cc difference.
Yes, the speedo would read lower with larger tires, you said top speed was 70 something. I guess that wasn't GPS.
Taller tires will get you a higher top speed than smaller ones, but take longer to get there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an 04. So it would be a 62cc increase in displacement for me. No I wasn’t using gps. Taller tires will get you a higher top speed if you can turn them that fast, but yes they make you accelerate slower because of the increased rotating mass. Also make it harder to stop for that reason

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish! I wish it had FI lol. Although I’ve been around this exact quad for almost 15 years and it’s never given us carb problems. Never done anything to it beside change the fluids and ride it. It just DOES NOT like cold weather. Have to hold the choke up for a solid minute and then let it pull the choke down by itself over the next 5 minutes, then let it idle for another 5 minutes before trying to drive or it won’t shift right, and will stall if stopped in gear. Once it’s warmed up it runs like a stabbed rat though!

·
Administrator
12,361 Posts
I hear ya..
Like oilcan had mentioned, even dumping lots of money in engine mods, its still a single, hard to get big gains. IMO, this machine is better left stock.. But that's just me :)
Oil viscosity plays a big roll in cold temps, what you got in it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got fully in my possession this summer. I changed all the fluids except the coolant, I need to do that. But I went with shell T6. If I remember correctly it’s 10-40? I can’t be sure on the weight. I did a lot of reading about oil on here and saw several people swearing by it, and I’ve always used the stuff in my banshee transmission, even with the current 100hp 521cc engine on it, so I readily believed that it would be perfectly suitable for this thing too. We’ll see this winter if it’s any better. I have no idea what was in it before, but I do know that the oil change light had been on for like 3 years prior to me getting it this year lol, so the oils and spark plug were the first things I did. It was only used pulling crap around the yard occasionally for the past several years so I’m not worried about the oil change thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It still sounds crazy to me that 62cc and a cam would only net a few hp... obviously 2 strokes are entirely different, but it’s the world I’m familiar with. Increasing displacement at all on them makes noticeable differences in power. Going from my basically perfectly ported stock displacement 350cc engine on the banshee, to the 521cc engine almost doubled the power

·
Administrator
12,361 Posts
It still sounds crazy to me that 62cc and a cam would only net a few hp... obviously 2 strokes are entirely different, but it’s the world I’m familiar with. Increasing displacement at all on them makes noticeable differences in power. Going from my basically perfectly ported stock displacement 350cc engine on the banshee, to the 521cc engine almost doubled the power
You had the machine on a dyno?
It could be more going from a 650 to 712, but only way to know exactly would be a dyno..

·
Super Moderator
6,524 Posts
On the oil thing, try a 5-30 for your winter riding. Up here it gets real cold, I can start it, let it idle for a couple minutes while I put on my gear, and go push snow. I pull the choke, she rotates a couple times and comes on fast idle..... I slowly push the choke in, rev a couple times (avoiding that 1st stall) and get ready... she just sits there waiting :) Until you pop the top we won't know if you have a different cam.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You had the machine on a dyno?
It could be more going from a 650 to 712, but only way to know exactly would be a dyno..
No, I’m just going by others dyno results since the banshee community is fairly large. Pretty widely accepted that a stock cylinder motor on pump gas will tap out around 60-65hp whereas a 521 on pump gas is basically right at 100hp. 120-130 if on race gas and drag pipes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On the oil thing, try a 5-30 for your winter riding. Up here it gets real cold, I can start it, let it idle for a couple minutes while I put on my gear, and go push snow. I pull the choke, she rotates a couple times and comes on fast idle..... I slowly push the choke in, rev a couple times (avoiding that 1st stall) and get ready... she just sits there waiting :) Until you pop the top we won't know if you have a different cam.
Good to know. Like I said, I have no idea what oil was in it in the past when I had those cold start issues. Some jackass might’ve put straight 30 weight in it lol if I find myself having issues starting it this winter, and actually trying to ride it a lot, I’ll thin the oil up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts