Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking over the latest GPS units and liked the features of the Garmin Vista and Legend units. Does any one here own either of these units? Any comments on these or other GPS units would be helpful.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the Garmin etrex. It is the more basic of the Garmin models. It would depend on what type of applications you want to use it for. It will allow you to mark points, navigate to them, and make your own maps. It is very simple to use and have had no problems with it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I just bought the Rhino 120. $210.00 delivered. have not had a chance to use it yet though. Never used one of these things before.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have the Garmin E-Trex Vista. I like it. Definitely purchase the Mapsource software with it. I make my own maps by downloading the tracks. There are a lot of features. The more you use it, the easier it is to learn. The Garmin website does a good jod of keeping the software up to date. It is very easy to do. Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I have one... in fact, it's for sale. Had it about two years, but I'm upgrading to a newer unit.

PM or email me if you want info. :)

Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am quite familiar with the Garmin etrex (basic), the vista, and the legend. I normally do not purchase the cheapest model of anything, and i wouldn't recommend the etrex basic unit unless you do not expect much. I like the ability to put the garmin mapsource topo software in the unit's memory. for that I recommend 16mb of ram or more. the nice feature of the legend and the vista is that it also has a joystick on the front that works like a mouse on a computer. once you use the joystick, you won't want to go back to the etrex. much easier to navigate menus. the vista has more memory, but i think you could put the whole state of arizona on the legend, which is more than you will need for any 1 ride. the vista also has an electronic compass, which means the compass works without being in motion, as others require. but if you are driving along, the compass works fine on the others. you can find the legend for about $150-160 on ebay, new, and you'll have to pay $240 or so for the vista. if i didn't use the vista in my work, needing the electronic compass, i would buy the legend, hands down.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

I will start watching the vista units on ebay, get a feel for the used and new prices. I think they have 24mb of memory vs. the legends 8mb. Sounds like that should be plenty for a first time GPS buyer. Looks like a nice unit as well..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts