Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on riding in the mountains in mexico. I just wanted to know if anybody has had any problems crossing the atv over. What kind of documentation is needed is really my big concern. Help if anybody has gone through this.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Man redbomb thats one hell of a trip. I would be curious to know how hard it is to cross with a atv also. I have been kicking around the idea of going up to Canada some year but was not sure how it would go crossing the border.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would think that if you had all of your documents(ownership,insurance),you should be good to go.

Maybe a bill of sale?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am set on ownership documents as well such as lending institution approval letter or title. Just want to be organized, wouldn't want to drive from chicago to El paso, TX. and then find out i'm missing something.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Redbomb, I drive back and forth between El Paso and Juarez all of the time. The Mexican border inspection is kinda random. Seems like you can bring just about anything you want into the country. The tough part is coming back home. You want to be sure you have the documents to appease the US Border Patrol. They're much more invasive. I've always wanted to explore around down there but never have any free time. Are you familiar with that area? Good Luck!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Redbomb, I drive back and forth between El Paso and Juarez all of the time. The Mexican border inspection is kinda random. Seems like you can bring just about anything you want into the country. The tough part is coming back home. You want to be sure you have the documents to appease the US Border Patrol. They're much more invasive. I've always wanted to explore around down there but never have any free time. Are you familiar with that area? Good Luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RossB, I will be crossing the border through Juarez and unfortunately I don't know the area. I am driving down to the state of Durango, Mexico. Which is about a 10-11hr drive. The cool thing is that where my family resides, they live on the ridge of the Sierra Madre which runs from mexico all the way up to Alaska. Should be fun.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
You're going to have a great trip. I had one of my wildest New Year's eves in Durango. The drive across the Chijuajuan Desert will put you to sleep, but once you get to the mountains, you'll wake up! The road meanders from jungle valleys up to mountain plateaus and back down again, endless times, it seems. Watch out for dead animals (like burros) in the road because they can sure spoil your trip. A set of driving lights for your car/truck is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Barkle, did u take an atv at all when u went down there?

Lending Inst. will give me the approval for taking the ATV out of the country only if it will be insured against fire & theft. The only problem is that insurance in Mexico will only cover liability while it's being towed. They said good luck on the comprehensive. Surprise, surprise, surprises everywhere.

Good note!

I received the K&N filter & sleeve along with the K&N Jet Kit. Will need it, since durango it's about 3K ft. above sea level.

RedBomb

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds like a great trip Redbomb. I'm more than a little jealous as I never get out of Juarez. As you'll see, it's not what one would characterize as a recreational paradise unless your interests lie in factories, drug smuggling, or the delicate aroma of open sewage. I imagine you'll want to zoom right through and head south to the fun stuff. Take a lot of pictures and treat us to a follow up story. ~Ross

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will do Ross.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have always heard to buy Mexican insurance at the border also, even if you have stateside insurance. Mostly a waste of money but they seem to expect you to have it and will have a lot less problems with it. I have also heard of being stopped out in the middle of no where and pay impromptu "tolls" to locals. Barkle is probably your best resource. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah. There are alot of companies selling mexican insurance here in the states and they are the ones that told me that I would only be able to buy Liability. Which is o.k. with the lending inst.

I will try to get some pic's back. Gotta get the Rincon ready, I will start jetting today hopefully it will be as easy as everyone says.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Redbomb, when you get to El Paso, look for a Sanborn's Insurance office and buy a policy for your vehicle. The Mexican policia have an efficient way of dealing with traffic accidents. They just lock up EVERYBODY involved until the judge comes to town so that he can sort it out. A Sanborn's insurance card will prevent that unfortunate circumstance. (That's why policemen in Dallas, Houston, Fort Worth, you name it, rarely find anyone at a wreck when Mexicans are involved. They think they're still in Mexico and run like hell!)

Yes, the policia are underpaid and they might shake you down for a little mordida. They're local guys, so just consider it part of the deal. Hey, I don't like paying tolls as I drive across Oklahoma, but somebody's got to feed the Indians!

Watch out for the Federales. They're the federal police force. They're heavily armed and don’t take any crap. Be polite.

No, I've never taken an ATV into Mexico.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts