Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on a good backup light. Mounting of it and switch? And how about sources?
Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had the Warn back up light on my Kodiak. Worked great, got lots of compliments. I was able to get the power for the relay (which I added) right from the reverse indicator light. Turned on everytime you went into reverse. Would like to do that too with the Rincon but it doesn't have a reverse indicator light. Probably have to go with a switch. Also, had to silicone the vent holes in the light to keep the water and mud out.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Topgun,

Hadn't thought of the relay, good idea. Was it something from Radio Shack? I like the looks of the Warn light and will probably get one and seal it as you did.

I have been thinking of rigging a monentary (spring loaded) switch so that the forward/reverse lever or rod triggers it.
Greg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Radio Shack has some automotive relays and even has a harness that fits the relays. I used one on the Kodiak because I didn't want the full current going through the backup dash indicator. In this case, with a switch, you shouldn't really need one. If you could find a pushbutton switch to catch the shifter lever when you go to reverse, that would be the ticket. Problem is finding one that would be fairly waterproof. Have to see what I can dig up.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have not perfected this idea but I will soon. I bought an sealed backup light that fits in the rubber holder like on a big truck or something. I am going to mount it in the rear black plastic in the rear. I would like to put a relay that would use a ground from the tranny position switch, and possibly use the light switch to power up the relay. I have ordered some of the parts from NORTHERN TOOL AND EQUIPMENT and I will rig up a relay somehow. If this help you get started let me know. I do not have a service manual with a wiring diagram so I will need to find where the reverse wires are. I did find a reverse rev limiter mod to put a switch to give you full rpm's when in a mudhole. It kills the speedo and it would be unsafe to use all the time. Post back if you can help us........

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not sure if I would connect into the gear position switch but here are the wire colors from the manual. First, it is round and located near where the shifter connects to the tranny.

Drive: Light Blue/White
Neutral: Light Green
Reverse: Gray

These wires go directly to the ECM. If you used a diode to prevent back current, you might be ok. I'd hate to blow the Dash or ECM playing with it though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is no use for a diode. Hook up the relay to the backup lamp and to a good ground, and then install a fused battery cable to power the switched side of the relay. There would be no back feed to the ecm, there would be a higher current draw in the neighborhood of .06A or .72w from the backup lamp.

I think the hardest part is finding a good small, wide flood light that is bullet proof!!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
How about the stock foot brake switch on the rincon. The switch pull is on a spring it could be mounted on the shift lever. It is also sealed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts