Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago, I said that the length/strength of the carb spring was inconsequential. I was wrong. I think it was ParkGT who said that carb spring tension was important if you were riding upside down. I haven't done any of that, but...

I just returned from 10 days in W. Colorado. I made a WFO run down a straight, smooth gravel road at about 9,000 feet. When I let off the throttle, the motor "backed off" with a three backfires in quick succession. (Obviously, it was jetted a bit "fat.")

Then, the motor died and I rolled to a stop. I was able to restart it, but when I opened the throttle more than about 1/8, the motor died. Thus, top speed was limited to 4 mph and I was stuck out in BFE.

OK, everything ran, except when I opened the throttle. I cracked an egg and began gonculating the problem. Then, I took the top plate off the carb and found that the cut-down spring I was using had not been strong enough to prevent the carb slide from being blasted upward by the backfire. After the backfire, the slide had headed back down, but the mid-range needle failed to line up and go back in the main jet hole. As a result, the needle was askew and completely out of the main jet and the slide was flopping pretty uselessly.

Lesson learned. I'll sacrifice some throttle response for peace of mind.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Barkle - Other than the carb thingy, how was the trip to Colorado?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Barkle,

I don't remember saying "upside down" exactly. Glad to hear it wasn't a painful mishap. And how was the riding, what jet and settings?

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Yellow 650. Will screw it out some.

Nice riding. We stayed in Crested Butte for a week. When we got there, my wife & I had a warm up ride up Slate River Road to Paradise Basin and then did Daisy Pass on way back.

Did Crested Butte-Schofield Pass-Marble-Lead King Basin all in one day. Had wife on back for that one. Was running ATRs at 7-8 lbs and had no problems. There's a new obstacle just below the Devil's Punchbowl that made the wife get off while I crawled over it.

Did Cement Creek-Italian Creek-American Flag Mountain-Taylor Pass on a "boys only" ride. That was an ass-buster. About 85 miles the hard way.

Did Pearl Pass (almost). Was stopped just short by snow blockage.

Went up to the "Gunsite" notch but didn't have good view due to clouds.

After CB, we went down to Lake City to do the Alpine Loop. Took it from the south side so we first went up Cinnamon Pass and then Engineer Pass. Fantastic views all the way. About 55 miles. Took 5.5 hours.

I hope you can go. If so, take a rainsuit! Also, Lake City stays pretty full, so get a room res. Lake City has a good city website with links to all the motels and B&B's.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ParkGT, I was running Dyno 144 with stock needle. Ran fine and I was almost at 13,000' feet at several mountain passes. Airbox lid off and 2" exhaust cap with no arrestor.

My next mechanical venture will be to check/set the valves. Bike now has two hard vacations on it since valves were checked at the initial service interval.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Barkle,

Sounds like you had a great ride. I have been all those places but not on a Rincon. How was that steep climb up to the top of Flag Mtn.? How about coming down? That is one place I have wondered about.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately, it was too easy. There were about a dozen ATVs already up there when I arrived! Great view, regardless.

The really sporty ride is going UP the "high road" on what I suppose is Italian Mountain. Steep, rocky, lots of boulders to clamber over. Big drop off if you screw up. Sounds like you've already done it. I did it last year on a TRX 300 EX (manual clutch) which taxed my ATVing skills to the max. It also taxed the bike, because I weigh 275!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes the high road between the gate and Flag Mtn. is neat. Was the Rincon gearing low enough to crawl them or did you have to keep up some speed and bump along while hoping not to go over the edge. Atleast that the way I have had to do it on two wheeels!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Barkle- I'm jealous!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts