Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, however, I have been on this site many times. Not a computer guy but have owned several Honda ATVs, am a licensed civil engineer, and am a self proclaimed dirt wrench. First a little background.

2003 green rincon, bought new $6800 out door. Got extra warranty, another $400 because I was scared of all the electronics. No trips to dealer yet except for genuine Honda parts. 2700 miles of moderate to heavy duty trail use with lots of everything except mud. My common sense lets me ride around what mud I can and the Rincon will go through most of the rest. Only thing I have done is maintain it in an anal fashion and install Holeshot atr's...great tires except in sticky mud.

Now for my mechanical suggetions;

1) Water pump - I found a thread that discussed theory that rincon sucks crap up pump drain hose when you run it in water due to rapid cooling which causes antifreeze to contract creating a vacuum and suck water up the stock short hose and into seal area. This made a lot of sense to me as you can see the volume change of the coolant in the recovery bottle as the machine warms up. Solution - trash original hose. When I pulled old hose off it had a small amount of water and dirt in it. I did my best to remove anything in the pump body with a sqirt bottle before changing vent.Get a good quality fuel line and run about 8 inches from the pump to get to the front of the right footpeg. Installed an in line fuel filter such that if seal does fail, I will see green in the filter. Next connect about 24 inches of the same hose to the opposite side of the in-line filter and run it up the inside of the frame and under the tank. Zip ties as needed. I did this at 1500 miles and so far my original pump looses absolutely no coolant.

2) Oil change - So far loyal to Honda GN-4, stock filters, and 600 or less mile changes. I have seen many posts stating you can not get all the oil out of torque converter during a change. This is not correct and I discovered by mistake an easy way to get it all out. Warm the ATV up a few minutes then put the front tires up on standard metal car ramps about 12 inches tall so the quad has the front end higher than the rear. When you pull plug you will get all 4 quarts every time. After you repalce drain pug, washers, and oil filter push the quad off the ramps onto level ground and refill as per manual. Works every time and as a bonus very little gets on the skid plate. The rincon is a dry sump design so you must follow the manual to the letter when topping it off to get the final oil level right.

3) Valve adjustment - Food for thought, many dealer mechanics do this by ear never removing the covers then charge you in the rear. For loose valves this is OK as they will get noisy and warn you. Tight valves are the problem because with wear the clearance can go away and cause a burnt valve with out you ever knowing (or hearing) what happened and costly repairs. Do your own, learn how, it is an easy 1 or 2 hour job. At 200 miles mine were fine, the first check should be done early in case the break in causes the clearnace to go away. I procrastinated on the second check till 2400 miles and they were still fine with no adjustment required.Probably will do it again at 4000 miles.

Sorry post was long, but I felt I owed something back to this site which has helped me much in the past.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Corndog,
Awesome thread. Great tips. Keep the spirit..and hang around...we need more guys like you on this site.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Howdy Corndog, we're practically neighbors. I live right across the river from ya in Corydon. Once I get mine put together, maybe we can go riding sometime.I usually ride Lynnville, Redbird and a few local places. Let me know if your interested.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi Corndog!
I love your idea of the water pump hose. You should send it to Honda or get a patent on it and sell it as an aftermarket part.

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey philjo, thats a great idea. I ride an XR 400R (BIKE) also when its dry. I ride Redbird, Hatfield, Turkey Bay and occasionally Cave Run Lake and Lynville. Interested in your "local" places. When hunting season ends I will be back in the riding buisness. Have vacation coming in December and am planning a trip to Hatfield. If you have not been its like Redbird on Steriods. I assume the redbird you refer to is east of Manchester, Ky

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Craig, Honda would probably void my warranty if they knew. I doubt there is enough demand and its too easy and cheap to make to get rich. I'll stick to my engineering work until my application at Fisher's ATV world TV Program comes back.......keep it real.

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
replying to make this current again. Yes Mudchucker, it was me. It was my first post.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think a dirt wrench is what you use to change out a bad muffler bearing. Looks sort of like tweezers. See pic. below.

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not sure what it is either. I married a "dirty wench" so that can't be it. Somebody called me that once, along with some other things I can't repeat.

What it really means is I hate to work on my own cars, trucks, boat, tractor etc. cause I'm basically old and lazy now and have trusted mechanic friends who do me right.

But when it comes to my dirt bike and ATV ain't nobody gonna touch them but me.........I have have always wondered what a muffler bearing was, I think my Honda dealer sold me one once...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts