Honda Rincon Forum banner

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Ok went for a test drive. As I was backing out of my shop I could immediatley tell the difference. Reverse is low. I turned around and headed out of my driveway tempted to nail it but I wanted to go slow at first to make sure it would shift, I could tell the difference in 50 ft. I left it in auto at first. I turned onto the road and drove normal. 1st to 2nd no problem then came time to shift to 3rd. Rpms up higher then higher, finally had to blip the throttle tp get it to change. VERY HIGH RPMS. Came to the stop sign and started again this time paying attention to the speedo. 1st to second part throttle change was around 12 mph. 2nd to 3rd was again reving. 18. 20 . 22 25 then shifted to 3rd. I stopped back to 0. As soon as I let off the throttle it changed back to 2nd! Dang1 Auto will be a no go unless friving very slow in the woods on the trail. Made a trip arounf the block in auto playing with the throttle same situation in 2nd to 3rd shifts. Wide open it will shift but part throttle will just hang out till you think wow is this thing going to shift. When it does shift if you increase throttle over half it will downshift.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
ESP time. From a dead stop with wide open throttle the tires will spin(would not do that before) and then go. I shifted to 2nd around 12-15 mph then to 3rd around 22-25 mph topping out at 46-48mph. You will definetly have to use esp mode if fast riding over 15-20 mph.
What I have learned so far is top end went from 52-54 mph to 46-48 mph.
Auto - SUCKS. Will be fine if creek riding or slow trail riding.
Bottom end - ROCKS !!! From reverse to 1st. It is what I have always wanted - A LOW!
I have 27 " swamplites with 4 psi.
I will try to get a speed with gps tmrw.
Sorry if this duplicates. I typed this a minute ago but it dissapeared.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi guys my parts should be here in a day or two any info will be helpful on install

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Will post tmrw with any updates and hopefully no oil leaks. hahaha

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Will post tmrw with any updates and hopefully no oil leaks. hahaha

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
rincon101 what ?'s do u have and I will see if I can help u?

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Got a call from the dealer that my parts are in except for an o-ring and washer. They said 2 weeks for those parts. I'm really not too much of a hurry now, have to finish my taxes, and I was just told today that I am an affected employee (RIF) and that my job was being changedso I will have to competitively reapply for it (or other jobs that are vacant). There are moreaffected employees than there are postions available soI will have to put many hours into writing my resume if I want to make sure I have a job.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Whitecon I'm installing BR gears in my 07 rinny any tips would be helpful

·
Registered
44 Posts
[No message]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
rincon101 - Study the manual on the subtransmission. Make sure that you clean the machine thoroughly and then blow any sand that might be looming around.
Let the oil drain for a LONG time before working on it.
I left the shock attached at the top and held them up byb an bungee cord. Removed the a-arm completly.
After sub-frame removed - I jacked the back up higher then the front so that I could sit under it and also any oil that was left would stay toward the front.
When time to pull the case to access the sub trans gears - Place your thumb on the shift shaft so that it will stay on the engine side and be removed with the case. Slightly bumb the case to split it and dont hit it real hard - as you do not want to dislodge everything inside.
Take you time and don't rush.
When removing the gears make sure you hold the gears together and watch for the washers. Oil the shaft and needle bearings when changing out the gears.
Thouroghly clean the cases for the new gasket.
CHECK TWICE on the install.
CHECK TWICE on the install.
Did I mention CHECK TWICE on the install!
I know alot of info but that I what I learned.
Everyone here has helped me out so much and I would like to help repay.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Take your time during the teardown! It will help during the install I promise.
I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
I was looking at the Rincon today and it looks like the stopper arm might be damaged as well from when I broke the Gearshift drum. I'm getting ready to call the dealer and see if he has it, better safe than sorry. My parts should be in tomorrow and hopefully he has this in stock.

Thanks for the review, I can't wait to get this done!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
DS I hate that! Good luck on the part.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Charlie's Honda,Your're in for a treat,check out all the super old bikes on his show room floor.I love the the yellow Indian.Take your camera and post some pic's.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
sunk again If you want to come and help with my buddys you are more than welcome to. I am going to go ahead and do his while this is fresh on my memory. haha

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
Ok, finally got the new parts in. Drove 80 miles to Jasper Ind to get one part. Found out later that my cousing who lives down the road was there too inspecting a house. He could have picked it up for me if I'd known he was there. Oh well, the way this build is going, I expect that!

Got the gears put in RIGHT this time. It'll actually shift now! Just bolted on the subframe, gonna eat some food, then get back out and work on it. It's amazing how things work when you follow directions! I also talked to a tech at my dealer and he walked me through the install of the drum and stopper.

Hopefully in a few hours I'll be giving a review of my new gears! Keep your fingers crossed for me......

101 - 120 of 130 Posts