Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A large stick came in and busted my front cv boot off I had to drive for about an hour after it happened. What do I need to do to fix this? Should I get an aftermarket boot if so where should I buy it from? also would a-arm plates have prevented this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
These things happen rockcon! You have several options. One (and my least favorite) is to take it to your local stealer, sorry, I mean dealer and have him fix it.

The second is to go to the Honda shop, buy a boot for about $30 and fix it yourself.

My choice is to buy an aftermarket boot of your choice for about half of $30, and install it yourself. It is not really a very difficult fix, even for a first timer. If you have a buddy who has done it before, just ask him to help you and then the next time you can do it yourself.

Yes, a good A-arm protector quite likely would have prevented this. I have always used Aluminum Products A-arm protectors and I have still had sticks and wire tear up my cv boots. They help but there are no guarentees!

At the very least, you can save yourself a few bucks by uninstalling the CV joint and taking it somewhere as opposed to loading up the bike and dropping it off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the help........ If I buy this part from the dealer will it be a boot that is solid where I have to take the tire off? or do they make boots like on cars that you just snap together? Also where is a good place to guy after market boots?

·
Registered
35 Posts
No such luck rockon!

You will have to unistall the wheel and tire and a few more things to get the cv joint and shaft out of there. You did not mention which boot got dinged but it makes a difference on how difficult the repair will be and in some cases, which size boot to buy. I have not monkeyed with my Rincon enough yet to know for sure if they take the same boot on all eight ends.

It sounds to me like your best bet will be to take it to a repair shop and have them do it. There are several smaller shops around here that do that sort of thing and if you ask, you may find one that will let you watch while they fix it (usually on the condition that you don't speak!). A buddy of mine who is in the business tells guys that it will cost them a hundred dollars to fix one, two hundred if they watch! Hopefully you have a shop or two in your area like that.

Once you see it done, you will probably be able to do the next one yourself!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a guy going to help me repair my cv boot this weekend if some one could e-mail me scanned picture of the manual on how to fix this that would be great.

Thank you

·
Registered
338 Posts
all boots have different part #'s.fronts only work on front and rears only work on rears..i just replaced my right rear inner..if its an inner boot all you get is the boot,you need to order the clamps seperately,also the grease comes seperate too on the inners..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rockcon,

If I'm not mistaken, last year on the highlifter forum some guy detailed the entire process for a front axle to include disassembling the CV and reinstalling the new boot. There are a few tricks that you will have to know so don't try to wing it. For example, it is important to put the gears back together the same way they came apart. This is usually accomplished by marking the housing in some fashion. Try doing a search over in the archives at HighLifter. You may find what you need. There are very few important differences between independant suspensions amongst ATV's so don't worry about it too much if the instructions are for another make or model bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts