Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I have an 07 680 last weekend my cam chain tensioner went bad and threw the chain so I tore it all down put new rings in got it timed and put it all back together with a new manual chain tensioner I road it for about four hours today and for some reason the manual chain tensioner came loose and threw the chain off again only this time it ruined one of the guides it broke it in half the one the tensioner rides on can I install these guide without pulling the engine out or do I have to split the crank case ?
Any guidance would be a big help!

·
Super Moderator
6,427 Posts
Manual tensioner not a great idea... If you didn't, then I'd recommend you replace the chain (probably stretched) ,including the guide and tensioner. You may be able to resurrect your original Honda tensioner, search for Corndog's cam chain tensioner rebuild. It's always so much easier working on the motor when it sits on your bench, but you can do it in the frame. The reference for you is page 13-2 in your service manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank Ive never actually taken the engine out of one before I do have a manual and I haven’t received that section yet will I be time ahead to go ahead and pull the engine or is it faster to do it in frame?

·
Premium Member
8,042 Posts
A lot of people put manual tensioners in. BUT, they require careful initial adjustment and occasional tinkering. They also require you have a good ear for chain slap, so you know when it is time to adjust the tensioner again. Me, I like the automatic and have that in my high mileage rincon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts