Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I run an 03 650 in water with a snorkel without spark arrestor on exhaust ? Or will I kill it 馃し馃徏

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still haven鈥檛 even began to snorkel it.. Head gasket on left side is beginning to leak some water and found some oil in coolant overflow ... any idea what it is

Registered
I鈥檝e ran mine with the stock exhaust and a HMF with no issues. Just don鈥檛 let it shut off lol

I recently had this issue when I got into a bind due to some slick rocks on a river crossing. Shut off and wasn't starting. I pulled the transmission into neutral and it cranked right up. Might have been luck.

Premium Member
I recently had this issue when I got into a bind due to some slick rocks on a river crossing. Shut off and wasn't starting. I pulled the transmission into neutral and it cranked right up. Might have been luck.
You were lucky. If you get into water deep enough and the engine stalls, it can suck water into the cylinder through the intake. The Rincon starter is powerful enough to bend or snap a connecting (piston) rod totally screwing you. It is called hydro-locking.

When we drown a machine we ALWAYS drag it out on dry ground with another quad. Put quad on its rear end with front in the air and drain the exhaust. Check the air box for water. Pull the spark-plug out and turn the engine over to purge any water out of the cylinder. Put it back together and plan on changing the oil several times to get residual water out of the engine.

Or - cross your fingers, repent your sins, and hit the starter while your in the water.

Registered
You were lucky. If you get into water deep enough and the engine stalls, it can suck water into the cylinder through the intake. The Rincon starter is powerful enough to bend or snap a connecting (piston) rod totally screwing you. It is called hydro-locking.

When we drown a machine we ALWAYS drag it out on dry ground with another quad. Put quad on its rear end with front in the air and drain the exhaust. Check the air box for water. Pull the spark-plug out and turn the engine over to purge any water out of the cylinder. Put it back together and plan on changing the oil several times to get residual water out of the engine.

Or - cross your fingers, repent your sins, and hit the starter while your in the water.

Good to know. :D Just the tailpipe was under, front ends and intake were sitting above water. I don't have any intention of going quite that deep. But accidents do happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts