Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been in carb diddle heaven. After taking it apart 20 or 30 times, it's easy to forget the little things, like putting the slide return spring back in. Ran fine without it.

All the angst about how many turns, stock vs Dyno-Jet spring, blah blah, is just that- BLAH BLAH. Anything that gives a MINIMAL amount of return pressure to help out the rubber diaphragm is just fine.

Incidentally, I spoke to a tech guy at Dyno-Jet. If I said they were underwhelmed about the possibilities of hot-rodding a diaphragm carb, that might be overstating the case.

Check my next post about jets & needles.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes it will run fine without it. That is not the reason for it being there. Rather, will it quit running wide open flying down the trail in time to avoid problems. The spring makes sure that the slide move down shutting off the main jet with the needle. Setting level in your garage gravity may work fine to do that; but what about after some wear and tear and gunk build up in an off level trail condition when you need precise throttle control?

The spring is in essence a safety device. Honda may have put in more spring than was needed, but I don't want to think of what might happen without more than "MINIMAL" spring pressure, no matter how remote that possibility may seem.

And yes as you can see by my post I have the Dyno Jet kit. I have played with a lot of combinations including cut springs. Still haven't found what I believe should be the best setup.

Be safe,

Greg

·
Registered
322 Posts
If the spring wasn't needed, THEY WOULDNT HAVE PUT IT IN THERE. Everything in that carburetor has it's purpose.

The size of the spring also determins how FAST the slide can come up. Meaning different throttle response. That's why the DJ spring makes better throttle response than the stock one does.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yellow650, you missed my point about ANGST. There have been numerous postings like, "Oh gee, do I cut off 9 coils or 12 coils?" and "Will my bike still run if I take 2 coils off the D-J spring?" etc, etc, ad nauseum. I can't see that it makes any difference as long as the spring supplies some (i.e., moderate) pressure against the slide. Like most everything else Honda does, the stock spring represents gratuitous overkill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts