Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I have a 2007 Rincon with original equipment including the shocks. We use it mainly for deer hunting and hauling stuff around at our friend's farm. I have a 48 inch cargo basket that I attach to the receiver and as soon as we put anything on it the entire back end just squats and sags. I am talking a couple of hunting chairs that are not that heavy and it just automatically gives. Do you think I need to replace the shocks to fix the issue so that it can hold a load?

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
Cargo baskets put way too much torque on the hitch. Beside squatting the ATV, it may break the frame mounting point. You also are taking load off the front tires which makes steering crappy and reduces front wheel traction. The Honda factory hitch is very short for a reason. Receiver hitches may seem like a good idea, but aren't.

That is what the racks are for. During hunting season I divide the weight between the front and rear racks. They also make nice baskets that bolt to the rear/front rack.

Reactions: Steve'o82

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I decided to go with a Koplin drop basket with the tailgate that attaches to the rear rack. We can use that to carry chairs, tools and other gear out into the field without worrying about a load on the hitch. I also bought a tow bar from Sportsmansguide.com that hooks on to our game cart which allows me to tow it behind the ATV when carrying game (deer) back to camp. Both purchases are way cheaper than going down the path to replacing shocks or beefing up the springs. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
I made a small 4' X 4' trailer with 14" high sides to tow behind my Rincon. It is light but sturdy and tows behind just great. I have even put a deer in it a couple of times and it did just fine. Just an idea.

Reactions: Corndog

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I decided to go with a Koplin drop basket with the tailgate that attaches to the rear rack. We can use that to carry chairs, tools and other gear out into the field without worrying about a load on the hitch. I also bought a tow bar from Sportsmansguide.com that hooks on to our game cart which allows me to tow it behind the ATV when carrying game (deer) back to camp. Both purchases are way cheaper than going down the path to replacing shocks or beefing up the springs. Thanks again!
Your welcome sir. Your solution will be much safer and not hurt a thing on the Rincon.

The Rincon is blessed or cursed, depending on what you want to do with it, with a soft suspension. It is really better suited to trail riding with minimal load on the racks. When I get a deer, I use a little trailer we have at the farm, or just tie a rope around its neck and drag it with the trailer ball.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree. This tow bar attachment to the game cart will be great. We can load the deer on the game cart then attach it to the hitch and it becomes a makeshift trailer. Then the basket will be elevated and hang of the top of the back rack which will help with eliminating mud slinging all over everything. Appreciate the help everyone. This is a great forum!!

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
Water Water resources Plant Natural landscape Body of water

My faithful Rincon is parked in the tall briars, close to my stand.

Reactions: GarryB

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
Love it!! What a great view. We hunt in Northern Missouri. Where is this at?
Southeast of Louisville, KY. My childhood buddy owns a 100 acre farm that I help him with weekly. I live 1 mile away and he is about 25 miles, so I am over there a lot. We manage it for deer and turkey primarily and have soybeans on it currently.

I am sitting about 15 feet up in a tower stand we built that has walls and a roof.

Last years 9 pt

Plant Trophy hunting Hunting Deer hunting Plant community

A few deer and a turkey that have come off the property

Natural material Wood Elk Fawn Wall

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
Nice Buck. I have never hunted White Tail only Mule Deer. I have always wondered why they count the eye guards on White Tail but not Mule Deer. If that beautiful buck of yours was a Mule Deer we would call it a 4 X 3.

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
Thanks @Harley Dog, I would love to get out west to tag a muley.

Here in the east, we count everything. It you can hang a wedding ring on a point, we count it.
Smile Hunting Deer hunting Hat Working animal

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
Here is one of my average size Mule Deer bucks. Just kidding of course. I got this great Moose in Newfoundland in 2006
Camouflage Plant Military camouflage Hunting Cargo pants

Reactions: GarryB and Corndog

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
Nice Moose @Harley Dog. I have never gone far to hunt, except for ducks in Arkansas. I am blessed to have a farm to hunt about 1 mile from my home. I am in the sticks, so I can just sling my rifle over my shoulder and ride the Rincon over there.

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
Lucky you. When I got the moose I lived in San Diego. I now live in Carson City, NV. I have drawn 2 deer tags by my home in 13 years. I can just get on the Rincon and ride 3 blocks to BLM land to hunt, but no luck so far. In 2010 I did draw an Elk tag in northern Nevada and was lucky enough to get an Elk with the Rincon and used the trailer I made to haul it out. The trailer works great as I used it in Colorado a couple of times to haul deer out. It bounces around a little when empty but it does work great without adding weight to the Rincon suspension.

Reactions: Corndog

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
We keep a tractor in the barn. Front end loader is priceless. We retrieve them and chain them to the bucket, then process them without needing to a field-dress at all. They go home boned out and in plastic bags.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts