Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at costco today and saw Castrol Syntec 5W50 for very cheap... the label says it meets or exceeds SJ standards, and the API circle does not have the "energy conserving" statment in the lower half of the ring.

According to the owners manual...
This would indicate that is it safe to use in the Rincon were friction modifiers are a no-no correct ?

Page 113 of your 2004 Owners Manual:
"Suggested Oils are equal in performance to SJ oils that are not labeled as energy conserving on the circular API service label."

is this all that matters ? is the JASO T 903 standard just another measurement incase the particular brand in your hand wasnt API certified ?

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
JASO T 903 is another stamdard, Japanese Automotive Standards Organization .
The Castrol 5w 50 sounds like it is the stuff you want to use, the words energy conserving are not there, so that is good.

I would use it, right now I have Shell Rotella 5W 40 synthetic in mine, and it is working great for me so far.
A lot of people on the boards use Rotella, it costs less at wally world, about $13. a gallon.

If you want to read about it.

http://www.shell-lubricants.com/products/pdf/RotellaTSynthetic.pdf

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heyas... Im in canada. and dont even know if the shell rotella is available , or what the price is... the Syntek stuff is about $4.95 (Canadian Dollars) a litre so 20 bucks canadian for a gallon (about 25 USD)

thanx for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts