Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that I read in the manual to change the oil at 100 miles and again at 600 then in increments of 600 thereafter. I don't have access to the manual as it is "at the ranch" so I thought I would ask you guys. I did the change at 600 miles expecting the "change oil" light to come on. It didn't until 700 miles. Have I messed up on the maintenance schedule?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. That is just a suggested maintenance schedule anyway. It can never hurt to change the oil more than they suggest.

·
Registered
12 Posts
the change oil light is programmed to turn on at 100 hours then again at 600 hours and so forth. you can reset the "change oil" light when you change the oil by pressing the hour and trip buttons together for bout 5sec. why it came on at 700 you probably reset it at one point in time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 03 did the same thing.

I really think the book is misleading and that what it actually means after the first 100 miles the normal interval is 600 miles. So the second scheduled maintenance would then be 700 miles not 600.

If you look at the maintenance schedule on page 102 you will see that it says INTERVAL above the 600 and 1200 mile schedules not ACTUAL.

Just my opinion.

John

·
Registered
328 Posts
There was an article in my buddies magazine about a atv rental outfit in Utah that has Rincon's and they said they have never changed the oil in these. They now have 21,000 miles on them. I wouldn't worry about a couple hundred miles..

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks for remindin me!

I just changed it this past weekend and forgot to re-set it.

Old post's are still good..............

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same thing with mine, changed the oil at 580 and the change oil light came on at 700.......................

·
Registered
518 Posts
The change oil light is programmed to come on first time at 100 miles, then at 600 miles after you reset it. So, no matter what the mileage is when you change the oil and reset the light, 600 miles later it will come back on !

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ok this is what the owners manual says:

(Note third paragraph)

·
Registered
338 Posts
man i thought you just put a piece of tape over it so you can't see it....i was suppose to change the oil,what a piece of crap this honda is,it doesn't even change its dang own oil..man im going get rid of this pos and go get brand xxx...lol...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Bet ya brand xxx wouldn't do almost 5000 miles. If it would, I'd have to see it to believe it.....LOL

·
Registered
338 Posts
actually in colorado we did see a pos polaris with over 15000 miles,she rode it to work and used it on the farm everyday,easy miles compared to the 4700 on my rincon but it didn't look to bad..

my goal now is 6500 before we go to the pauite trail in july.6 days of riding ........woohoo..

i still wish my rincon would change its own oil...LOL..

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Toolman, you will dig the Piute. ATV's allowed every where you go. In town in the mountains, hell it don't matter. Lot a snow here this year, more than any of the last 6 years. Should be able to do it all in July. I'm going to try to do it agian also this year. Maybe just me and the ol ball and chain this time, leave the kids @ home and hope we have a house to come back to... lol

·
Registered
338 Posts
well there should be about 10-12 of us leaving richfield monday july 25th..so if you get a chance to come out and ride during that time let me know,we have done taylor park in colorado the last 3 years and wanted to try someting new and different..

·
Registered
328 Posts
Can someone post step by step instrucions on how to go about changing the oil, or tell me where to find it on this forum ?. I Can't find my owners manual..

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Step one: warm up the new oil (4 litres) in the house over night so it pours
Step two: warm up the engine so the oil will run out.
Step three: drive the machine up onto some automobile ramps, or rais the front end a foot so the oil in the torque converter runs out.
Step four: get youself somthing to drain the oil into.
Step five: slide under the quad with your drain pan, the oil drain is in the centre of the skid plate, its a bolt thats facing towards the back of the quad you' see it, its the only one not facing straigt down.., its about a 4 inch long bolt.
Step 6 once all the oil has drained out reinstall the rain plug. (carefull when you install the drain that you dont strip the threads, or damage the o ring on the bolt)
Step 7 the oil filter is on the right hand side of the engine, it would be right beside your foot if you were sitting on the machine. its the round thingy with the bold in the middle of it. UNscrew that bolt in the middle of the oil filter cover, carfull you dont lose the washer... my dealer lost mine...
Step 8 slide out the sbolt, the spring, the cover and the old oil filter, peel off the washer from the old oild filter and reasemble with a new oil filter... bolt all back together.
Stpe 9 on the left side, behind your heal is that small piece of plastic, remove it, there is black twist off cap,, this is the oil filler tube... get a funnel, and pour in 2 liters of oil...(check the oil via the dip stick (the black unscrewy thing on the left front of the engine) check the oil level by unscrewing the dipstick, cleaning it off, and simply insert it into the hole, do not screw it back in to check the oil. You'll need between 3 and 4 litres of oil depending how much came out...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts