Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally took my chirping rincon to my dealer and they were able to find and fix the problem. According to my dealer, the problem is a non beveled thrush washer. Apparently honda made two different types of washers and the non beveled ones make this noise. I didn't want to believe it at first, but having my rincon back and hearing it purr without the noise is enough for me. I am not sure where on or in the engine this washer is located, but they told me they had to get into the crank case to fix it. I am not a mechanic by any means, so I don't ask a lot of questions. I just thought I would pass this info along to the others out there with chirping rincons. If anyone wants to know details, I can contact my dealer and find out specifics for you.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My friends Rincon does it ALL THE TIME. Seems like it takes FOREVER for that stupid ass thing to stop the retarded whirlling noise. Mine barely does it, lately it hasn't done it at all. The washer you are talking about has to be located in the crankcase, probably somewhere in or near the torque converter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess you could call it a whirring noise. Mine made a distinct chirping or whistling noise when the throttle was opened and closed and lasted for about 5 to 10 seconds after. It sounded almost like a bad bearing noise. And it went away after the engine warmed up. Here is the part number of the washer the honda shop gave me. (Honda Part Number: 90401-HM7-000) If anyone finds out exactly what this washer is for and where it located, I would be interested in knowing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I searched the parts lists for the Rincon and couldn't find that part anywhere. I was able to enter the part number though and get some details. It is a 32x45x3 washer with a list price of $2.64 . No other washer is that size that I can see, guessing that this may be the new number. haven't given up looking yet though.

I may change out my O Rings just to be safe and wondered where this part was to check it while I was in there. If anybody finds out, please post to let us know. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I'm watching this closely too... if I can't get my dealer to go in to do my O-Rings, then I may just do 'em myself. Plus I'd also like to replace this washer while I'm at it.

Rob

·
Registered
84 Posts
Changing the O Rings doesn't look to be too bad except that you have to remove the Torque Convertor to get at the top bolt on the oil pump. There are flats on it for a wrench to keep it from turning when you remove the nut but the manual shows a special puller to remove the convertor. It is just on splines and should come off but if it was stuck, pulling it may be a bit of a problem.

In addition to the 8 "O Rings", I think you should probably buy the Convertor nut also as it gets peened when assembled to keep it from backing off. You have to straighten it to remove, probably best to just replace it while it is off. It's like $5 or so, the manual says to use a new one.

That should about do it as there is no gasket between the cover and case. It says to apply a sealant. Well, except for that washer, LOL!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Topgun,
I found that part number and it is part of the "starter gear" diagram. Don't know how it affects the whirring sound, but that is where it resides. If you find anything else about it, pleae let us know. It doesn't appear the it would be too hard to get at, if that is the fix. I am still waiting for my manual.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks, didn't look there. That part is on the opposite side of the engine from where you change the O Rings under where your pull starter is. You have to take the rear crankcase cover off to get at it on the back side of the flywheel.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rinconridernc

Did your dealer say anthing about the consequences of not changing the washers. My 03 makes these noises also when warming up.

appreciate your time
Too Tall

1 - 10 of 10 Posts