Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were able to make it to the Mt. Washington auto road last weekend. You are now able to ride up on ATVs as well as cars and motorcycles, $10 gets you in and it was a great ride. It took about an hour including a few stops, we were lucky enough to have a very clear day so the visibility was great. The road is about 60% paved and the rest very smooth dirt, kept it at about 25-30 mph the whole way up. There were about 15-20 other machines in the lot at the base getting ready to go as we got there, seems to be very popular. The elevation, 6288 ft. didn't seem to bother the machines at all. I was on my '05 Rincon, my father on his '96 Forman 400 and a friend on a borrowed Predator. The predator's fan was on most of the time on the way up but didn't seem to be overheating. On the way down I kept it in ESP mode 2nd gear and never even touched the brakes other than to stop behind cars that didn't know how to drive. Overall it was a great day, well worth the $10 (which includes a sticker that says "This ATV climbed Mt. Washington". If you can get a good day it's worth the travel up north, for specific directions let me know, I grew up 10 miles from the mountain.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Their changing the fee . I think its $20 and it has to be set up with a club with 50 atvs. They say the atvs tear up the dirt road . I think they see a cash flow .For the summer of 2006.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
They told me (with the exception of living in Vermont registered ATVs) that I had to register my ATV in NH and belong to an ATV club. My being a Maine-iac it would cost me $140.00 just to climb the mountain once. Not worth it to me......

·
Registered
800 Posts
here is some info about use of a atv on the auto road.
ATV use on the Auto Road in 2006

Individual ATV traffic will not be allowed on the Mt Washington Auto Road on a day to day basis starting in 2006. Due to the aggressive nature of the tires on these vehicles the gravel portions of the Auto Road experience a much higher than normal maintenance need when ATV’s are present. This basic fact along with the unnecessarily aggressive operation of these vehicles by a small number of riders causes us to prohibit their use day to day.

We will continue to welcome well organized groups of ATV’s who have reserved with us in advance as we have in the past. Groups such as the North Country ATV Club have proven themselves to be well organized and thoughtful riders and we continue to invite them to enjoy Mt. Washington with us.

We welcome your club to reserve a day with us to ride to the highest peak in the Northeast and thrill to the spectacular setting that has made the Mt Washington Auto Road famous for 145 years. Rides during regular operating hours as well as special evening rides preceded by a barbeque at the base of the Road are possible with advanced reservations. Group rides have a 50 vehicle minimum. Rates are available here. Call 603 466 3988 or email [email protected] or more information.

ATVs are allowed on the Auto Road with the following restrictions:
The operator must have with them a valid driver's license. Only one person to an ATV unless it comes from the factory designed for two people. No aftermarket add-on seats are allowed. Vehicles must travel single file. The vehicle must be operated on the normal Auto Road surface only, no off-road riding. All vehicle traffic is limited to the Auto Road. There are no ATV trails and no off-road terrain is available on Mt. Washington.

Important note: To be in line with NH RSA 215 - A concerning OHRV registrations, all ATVs must have a NH registration or be registered in VT.

For more information about registration click here for a NH OHRV FAQ page.

For information about NH RSA 215 - A click here

Inquiries concerning this change in ATV operation may be directed to: Howie Wemyss, General Manager via email at [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts