Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1st 150km (100 mile)/ 15 hour check is coming up but my dealer says wait until there is 30 hours on the bike regardless of milage..that's not what my owners manual says !!!!

Any input???

·
Registered
518 Posts
Personally I'd go with what the manual says ..... I think it sucks that it needs valve adjustment after only 100 miles, but none the less, the service schedule in the manual comes from the people that desinged the engine so they ought to know what it needs better than a service mechanic at your local garage.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My dealer said they have found that the Rinny should go at least 150 miles before the first valve adjustment. So that is what I did and have had no problems and I had them do the work with no problem on the waranty so it must be ok.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If I am not mistaken, I think it says to change your oil at 100 miles and the valve adjustment occurs at 25 hours. At any rate, I had my dealer adjust them at slightly over 25 hours. The reason for the valve adjustment is that they are no hydraulic lifters like a care and the tolerances will change as they seat themselves. This is nothing new for this type engine.

John

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spoke to the Honda dealer again today and they tell me that Honda Corp. runs the engines and replaces oil at the factory before they even ship any bikes. They also told me that they hardly ever see valves that need to be adjusted after 15 hours of use and all I would be doing is wasting my money by bring in my rincon now.

If they are the dealer and I go by their recommended service schedule shouldn't I be covered under any potential warranty issues????

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would rather change the oil and get the valves adjusted. If you get a chance, search for some of the valve adjustment threads here that show that adjustments are sometimes needed. Why take a chance. Also, you warrantly specifies that you have to show that routine maintenance was completed and signed off by you (if you are competent enough to do it) or my a dealer. Mine was $65 dollars and I am satisfied that mine done. I have the extended warranty so I try not to do anything that woudl jeopardize that.

John

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would rather change the oil and get the valves adjusted. If you get a chance, search for some of the valve adjustment threads here that show that adjustments are sometimes needed. Why take a chance. Also, you warrantly specifies that you have to show that routine maintenance was completed and signed off by you (if you are competent enough to do it) or my a dealer. Mine was $65 dollars and I am satisfied that mine was done. I have the extended warranty so I try not to do anything that would jeopardize that.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts