Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, when you tick the computer on the Rincon into thinking the transmission is in drive when it's physically in reverse it eliminates the reverse limiter. It will also shift into 2nd and 3rd gear in reverse!! I, personally, have never heard of an automatic tranny (like the Rincons) shifting gears while going in reverse, but it does it! I figured reverse was the only REVERSE gear whereas the 3 forwards were all the FORWARD gears. Well, I guess not. Anyone know how the hell this works? Since the computer thinks the thing is in drive, does it take the 1, 2, and 3 gears and turn them backwards or what? I don't understand how it works. Anyone know if it has any ill effects of going into 2nd and 3rd gears in reverse?

BTW, the Rinny hauls ass in reverse, 4wd, with the limiter overriden. :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Without studying the workshop manual to figure out the make up of the gears, I would assume the reverse gear is mounted on an intermediate shaft between the gears and gearbox output shaft, hence when this intermediate [reverse] gear is engaged, it simply reverses the rotation of the output shaft while the rest of the gears are rotating in their normal direction. This would also mean that the shifting and the rev limiter must be controlled electronically by the ECU and not mechanically. If this is correct, it should do no harm to the Rinny's gearbox - but going too fast in reverse is an inherently unsafe practice as you have rear wheel steering which is vastly different to front AND you face the wrong way !!!!!!!!!!
Remember the Honda slogan .... "Stupid hurts!"

Interesting discovery though !

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is dangerous. But, I want to do a permanent one basically just so I can back out of holes better without that stupid limiter cutting me out at 12 mph wheel spin.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey Yellow650,
How do you do the override. Could you please give me some directions.

·
Registered
151 Posts
OK.... I read your instructions... Seems very simple.. The issue is... we want this to be a non-permanant fix, that is water proof.....

Easy-if I understand what you are doing.....

All we need is the plugs... it would be simple to make a simple plug in connector to go between those connectors... a water proof solution that could not cost more than 5 dollars to make....

Put me on the list for one!

LOL

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yellow,

Which of the plugs is it. I checked a wiring diag. and it looks like it comes complete. Let me know whick one it is and I'll make a call to a friend @ the dealership to see if they are available seperately.

http://216.37.204.202/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=110&B=61

(useful site)

I'll help If I can. Would be a good simple fix.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey I'm interested in getting a plug for the reverse override if it's available ...let me know

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would like to do it permanently but god forbid you have any warranty issues and they find out what you have done....

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yellow,

Seems simple enough, I'll see what I can do about the 2 plugs. If they are avail, I'll get the part #'s so anyone can pick em up at the dealer. May be tomorrow before I find out. Let ya know!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here is a link from another forum for reverse override:

http://atvfrontier.com/modules.php?name=cfaq&qid=145&catid=16

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yellow,

Simply make a short "patch" plug like a jumper. Use your wiring setup and make it permanent only in the 2 new connectors. That way you can simply unplug the connectors on the bike and plug in the "patch" plug that connects it the way you did. This way you could have a sealed connection (just like factory) that could be used or taken back off for warranty purposes just in case it had to go to the shop. NO cut or damaged factory wiring to have problems with.

If you don't like using the override all the time, simply unplug the "patch" and stow it away.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wire a switch between those two connectors, install switch on display panel, or a less obvious place if others ride the quad also, and make it selectable. Waterproof the switch and it's connections with heatshrink tubing and silicone sealant.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Woods,

The switch would work great as long as it was a 3-way like a rocker or winch switch. This would in a sense be better because you could override the reverse limiter for as long as you hold down the switch and resume normal operation a soon as you let go of the switch.

I'm waiting to hear back about the 2 connectors, I'll post when I find out.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I wouldn't want a switch that had to be held in for override. I want both hands
on the bars when backing up.

Didn't realize until after I posted about the switch that the link by BlackBeast
was about that very thing.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yellow,

I just recieved a call from a friend @ the dealership, said that the connectors we need are not avail at this time. HOWEVER, he got one of his techs to look at our posts and is going to do a little technical research and try this experiment on his own Rinny. I'll see if I can get him to join the forum. Would be great to have a tech to gab to and actually owns one.

I'll let ya know what he finds out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts