Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was on a riding trip for the weekend, and before the whole group arrived, a friend and I went riding on our own. I ended up whacking a rut pretty hard with the right front wheel, which yanked the bars to the right and nearly tossed me off the machine.

Upon closer inspection, I saw the tie rod was slightly curved, and the toe on the right wheel was way out.

We rode back to camp and pulled the wheel and worked on realigning it. We also noticed the outer tie rod end was loose. It's back to as normal as it's gonna be until I get a new tie rod and end. But it still pulls to the right a bit, and I'm wondering what else might be bent. I'm going to have to pull the wheel again and look it over more closely.

I also noticed the next morning that the tire had gone flat. There are no punctures in the tire, so I'm thinking the impact either popped the bead, or dented or cracked the wheel (ITP C-Series). So I may need a single wheel too.

Anybody else ever do this? If so, what all did you end up replacing?

Rob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rob, thats why I hate those ATR's. They stick to ruts ,trees and rocks. They radial design just grabs trail 0bstacles and holds on. Bias ply tire seem to slide over and around ruts,rocks and trees.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This wasn't a case of radials following ruts... this was me not paying attention.

For the record, I've never had trouble with my radials following ruts... not my ATRs on the Rincon, or my Bighorns on my Grizzly.

I do like how Bias Ply tires work on rocks, though. I miss how well my Blackwater XTs performed when rock climbing.

Rob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rob I just dumped my ATR's. they almost caused me to wipe more than once.When I was riding if the front tire clipped a rock or a tree the radial would expand and grab the obstacle turn towards the impact, jerking my handle bars and almost sending me flying. Bias ply tires dont perform like this they just bounce off or slid off the impact. Steve

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had this happen on every ATV I've ever ridden, regardless of tire type. I've found that on the Rincon, it's less likely to happen than any other machine.

The worst was my 2003 Arctic Cat 400i. Man was that quad a POS. It had bias ply tires, but on impact, it'd jerk the bars so hard that it nearly dislocated my shoulder a couple of times and bandly sprained the wrist of a girl who I had taken riding. The thing ended up getting sold and I nearly lost my shirt on the deal.

But again, I've had this happen regardless of the type of tire. My Grizzly did it plenty with its Blackwater XTs, and does it no more than before with its current Bighorns. The Rincon does it from time to time, but it never SNAPS the bars, it just pulls them.

Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts