Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What oils do you use in your Rincon front and rear differentials?

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I use the Honda diff oil. One thing about it, they don't hold much.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Bel Ray Gear Saver Hypoid Gear oil 80W-90

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any synthetic 80W-90 gear oil is good? Is it crucial to use a friction modifier in the front differential?

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90. I have changed it once. I check it annually for water. The front diff does not use friction plates so any good hypoid will work fine. A quart will do both ends with left over oil.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have Valvoline gear oil 75W90 with the friction modifier that is used for my truck. Do you think I could use this in my 03 Rincon?
:)

·
Administrator
12,366 Posts
I have Valvoline gear oil 75W90 with the friction modifier that is used for my truck. Do you think I could use this in my 03 Rincon?
:)
The manual states a hypoid gear oil, which is an EP gear lube, extreme pressure, or High Pressure. Valvoline makes a few different gear lubes, make sure its EP (Hypoid Rated) Hypoid is the way the gears are cut. 'Almost' all final drive lubes have LS additives (friction modifiers). I know personally of someone who used gear lube in the front diff without friction modifiers (It wasn't Limited Slip rated), and he had to add it after, because making turns was like having a front locker locked lol..

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can remember reading Dirtwheels magazine years ago and some folks would write in about hard steering on their full time four wheel drive Honda’s. Dirtwheel’s recommendation was exactly what you just suggested- add one ounce of GM limited slip differential fluid to your front diff oil. Never really gave it a thought but if you say it steers like it’s got a locker in the front end, then you’ve solved the issue of Honda not offering a differential lock on the Rincon! Just run that oil without the friction modifier and you’ve got posi traction in the front end lol.

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
Or tap the front brake to stop the spinning wheel and the other one will start pulling.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts