Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading through some old posts, and I find lots of posts about people with stalling problems... so, I thought a single thread were we all post the changes we made to our rincons before we could say "I never stall" Thinking if we all listed out our symptoms and solutions, we could get all the information into one usefull thread.

Mine stalled when I pinned it from a stand still, it stalled while pulling hard, say up a steap incline and letting off the throttle, it stalled while in a mudhole, and it stalled when I hit water... could it stall any more then that ?

I tryed adjusting the idle with the throttle stop this did nothing

I installed a UniFilter the Dynjet kit needle and #144 main this made a boat load of low end power and I was able to get rid of the stalling on incline problems by going up to the #146 and some fine tuning of the A/F stalling from stand still didnt change

I upjetted to the #148 and fine tuned the A/F again, seemed very promising, but the stalling from a stand still got even worse...I ordered a 2inch tip, the same day I was approved (by the wife) to spend the money on an HMF utility... they arrived about 2 hours apart, I never installed the 2inch tip. I installed the HMF, and thats when all hell broke loose! all the stalling disappeard... since then I have been slowly increasing the jetting I just started toying with the pilot jets... I never stall not sometimes, not when I do this or that... not ever...the machine starts easier runs better, sounds awsome and goes through mud like a horny rhino after a piece of rhino tail....

I should also note that my fine tuning of the a/f was done like so...first I set the A/F to about 2 and a half turns out, enough to get running... and rode out to a ditch thats about 15 feet deep (no water in it) and steep inclines in and out... I would ride in and out slowly and let off the throttle as soon as I come off the top or in the middle of the slope, if the engine stalled I turned the screw out just a touch...till it stopped...now I have a tiny tach I dont do the factory settings...I simply hook up the tach, set the throttle stop to the lowest idle where the engine will run, and screw in the A/F till I hear and see the RPM go up, and then back out (and count the turns) till I hear and see the RPM go up again if it takes 2 turns to get to this point then I split the difference and turn the screw in (opposite direction) again by 1 turn (make sense ?) my machine idles at about 1250 RPM and with the HMF utility on there it sounds like a farking dragster harley.

A note on plug reading..our canadian fuel must be just loaded with additives as it doesnt seem to make any difference what I do full turn in either direction and the plug is always a nice shade of greyish white...

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 03 has never stalled except when it was still cold and I pushed the choke in to soon and tried to climb truck ramps.

It is completely stock as far as the engine and pipes are concerned. Only mod is 26" mudlites all around.

I have climbed some pretty steep hills and been totally stuck in a deep ditch full of mud and still no stalling.

·
Registered
141 Posts
my experiances along with 2 other rincons(friends). all 3 bikes stalled a few times going through a descent mud hole(thick mud up to 3 inches above the foot rests). that was when they were new less than 100 miles. after they broke in no other probs so far. mine and 1 other have installed the dj power kit 144 2nd notch all spacers 2inch tip. i also noticed that it starts easier and doesnt require the choke to be on as much(only to start when cold then you can push it in immediatly and it will idle fine). i did have to open the idle jet 1/8 at a time to prevent it from backfiring at high rpm downshifts in esp.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mudchucker i have made several posts on stalling and have even wrote a letter to honda with the typical bullshit response. I have four friends and they ALL STALL. It pisses me off but their is nothing to do but live with it or sell. I would sell mine but i am spoiled with the irs.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Mine is an '03 and it had stalling problems at first, only when in the mud or water. I re-routed the carb vent lines and have never had that problem again. Just installed the DJ kit and K&N filter and it still doesn't stall. Got the Supertrapp pipe coming from Hilifter. It should be here today or tomorrow at the lates. Will letya know if there's any stalling after I put that on and ride this weekend. Later!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine stalled when it was stock and when I rejetted.Mainly it would stall when in deep mud or water and let off the throttle or when climbing a hill and letting off throttle at the top. I got a tackometer, dialed in the idle and air/fuel mixture. It has not stalled since and i have been on about four rides with it since dialing it in. It wheelies alot easier now also. No hesitation when hitting full from stop.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I know this may sound stupid, but my brother bought 1 of the first bikes in our area and he has never had a stall prob. Mine however had it from start. Both are same models but I bought mine at the end of the model year. Even after re-jetting, the problem still existing, I had a goofy thing happen. The bike was loading up really bad so after checking everything and changing the plug, I finally took the carb out and adjusted the fuel mix down to 2 turns out and putting it back in. NO FIX!....?????????.....I took the top off the carb and as soon as I removed the spring, I saw that the white plastic retainer that holds the needle in place had somehow vibrated loose and was sitting sideways in the diaphragm. I fixed it and put it back together. Runs great.

It wasn't until a couple of days later that I actally noticed it did not stall out after a long climb. {Knock-on Wood} If this actually fixed it, it was just the fuel mix being way too rich. It still start easy and my brothers is hard to start, so I may mark his fuel mix and try to bump it up a little to make easier starts. If it starts stalling, I'll know for sure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mudchucker - I bought my Rincon used it had 400 kilometers on it. I have put 1,100 kilometers on it since I bought it. All modifications were already done to it as listed below. Once its warmed up I have no problems with it.
Jim

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this weekend I took a friends stock rincon that stalls everytime he lets off the throttle under load and fixxed it !

he was complaining about poor throttle response, so I cut the spring in half,,,
and I hooked up my tiny tach and setup the A/F as per the manual... I also did the "ear method" just to see how close it would come... so, I was about 2 and seven eights turns out on the A/F by factory guidlines for the settings - and then I did the following, set the throttle stop to where the engine is at the lowest idle where it still runs well, started at about 2.5 turns out, turned the A/F out till the idle increased and then turned the screw in, counting the turns as I go, I turned it in until the idle whent up again, reversed the screw out half of that number of turns and bang ! I was almost 2 and seven eights out... was closer to 2 and three quarters, with a nice low idle.

and it seems that in the short test run that it doesnt stall anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts