Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the dyno jet kit but kept the factory main jet in place? I've tried the 2nd and 3rd groove on the needle with the #144 and #146 and the f/a screw at 3, 2 1/2, and 2 turns out. All kinds of combinations. Lots of low end and than it falls on it's face. Will jump my son's polaris sp500 by about 2 bike lengths off the line but after about 30 to 40 yards, he goes by me like I'm sitting still. Talked to a honda mechanic with some jet kit experience and he suggests useing all the jet kit but keeping the factory main jet. If that doesn't work I'll probably pull the whole jet kit out and go back to stock. He says that to get the full benefit from the dyno jet, you have to go to an after market exhaust, and I'm not going down that road.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
I'm just a bit curious, my Rincon before I added the Dyno Jet kit had a 152 main jet.
This is the standard low altitude jet.
I took the Honda #152 jet and the other Dyno Jet jets to work and measured the I.D. on all to compare.(see thread dyno jet above 6000'.)

The DJ #150 has the same I.D. as the stock Honda #152.
I know Dyno Jet says to run the 144 or 146, below 3000' I don't know why they want to lean it out that much.

I would put in the Dyno jet #150, to try and get the top end speed back.
Keep an eye on the spark plug color.
I have to disagree with the mechanic that said to get full benefit you need to run a performance exhaust. It would help in its own way even if you did not put in a jet kit.
If you go to a high flow air cleaner to get the full benefit you should run a performance exhaust, more air in more air out.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Comtnman; I read your post where you measuered the I.D's of the jets in the dyno jet kits, paying particular attention to the tolerances being not all that precise. That is one reason that I'm going to stick with the factory main. Thanks for takeing the time and effort. My plug color is almost, if not white and it seems to run better with the stock air filter than it does with the K&N, so their is not much doubt that it is on the lean side. I think what the mechanic I talked to meant was that you would see a performance gain with the dyno jet but you would not get the "Full" benefit without the performance exhaust. Naturally that would be the case, so I would agree with that. I played around with the carb on a sp700 extensively and used the K&N in the hotter months when you get a richer condition anyway and the stock filter in the colder months. That worked out pretty well so I'll probably try the same thing with the rincon, if and when I get jetting corrected. Thanks again for the research on the jet measurements.

·
Registered
282 Posts
picky let me know how that works for you! I love the bottom end grunt the jet kit gave my rincon but I haven't noticed ANY change in the top end. I am below 1000' Ft. (actually around 200-500 ft) and running the #144 and 2nd notch on the needle. I have a K&N Air filter with prefilter. I am running the STOCK exhaust. Please let me know how the stock jet works with the dyno needle? I am very courious as to the performance of this. I love the bottom end power I now have as I run 26" mudlites and use the low end MUCH more than I ever top it out. In fact the only time I nail it and hold it down is when I am testing the top end for a forum or for my couriosity sake. I am scared to take a 600lb ATV around rocky/muddy trail turn at 60MPH LOL!! I leave that to the light sports or a nimble bike...

On another thought, given my mods would one of those enlarged tips on the exhaust help?? Would I have to re-jet if I installed this exhaust tip?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jason; I'll post the results as soon as I get a chance to test it out. It may be a week or two before I ride again. It's a 2 hr. drive down to our log cabin where we ride and we usually stay a couple days. We ride anywhere from 800' to 1100' and I'm running the same set up as you are.I'm not sure about the enlarged exhaust tip but I'm toying with the idea myself. I'll wait till I see if the stock jet makes it run a little on the rich side and if it does, I might use one of the enlarged tips to try to lean it out a little. I'm more interested in the bottom end too, but every once in a while the kids try to agitate me with their sp500's. LOL! I'll post as soon as I get some results.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have now tried the dyno jet kit with the exception that I used the stock #152 main jet. I am pleased with the results. The bottom end was still good and acceleration was strong through 3rd gear until I ran out of road, so I still don't know what the top end will be but I will be finding out soon. The settings were: DJ spring, needle on the 2nd groove, f/a screw out 2 1/2 turns (I may turn it in to 2 1/4 or 2 turns) and the stock #152 main jet with the K&N filter with outerwear. Elevation was around 800' to 900' and the temp was around 83 degrees F. This combo is the the best so far for me and the only other thing I may try is the 2" exhaust tip. This may or may not work for some of you. If your not happy with your current DJ settings, you may want to give it a try.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You may have seen my post where I added the Supertrapp exhaust. I started with a 144 and then 148. I was planning on trying the 150 but now I think I can go much larger from what you have posted. I have only been able to find one jet larger than the stock 152 and it is a 160. I have run it before the exhaust and it was a little rich. I may go back to it now and see what the plug looks like. I guess I am from the old school but when my Raptor, which has 2 carbs, runs a 155 in one and a 160 in the other, it just seems like the rinny's 650cc would be able to handle more than the 144-150 that seems to be the standard with the DJ Kit. Thanks for the info on the sizes.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Duramax! No problem! I didn't get a chance to match it up against my son's polaris sp500 but I will the weekend of the 22nd. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the rincon blows him away. I'm not a speed freak but I'd like to put an end to the yada, yada, yada. He likes to torment me since I told him I sold my SP700 to the junk yard for $35.00.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The rev. limiter stops it at around 60mph, and the constant velocity carb. spring stops it from being aggressive ( Honda lawyers don’t want it to wheelie? ). Get a dyno-jet kit, install the dyno-jet CV spring and needle w/ the clip in the 4th slot on the needle without washers under the clip. Throw away the main jets that come with the dyno-jet kit and use a #40 pilot W/ air the air screw at 3 turns out and a #158 main jet below 5000' or a #155 main jet above 5000' and it will blow away a grizzly or 700 sportsman from 0-50 mph. I haven’t run into a Kaw. 700 so I don’t know about them. I’ve changed five rincons using this set-up and they are all nasty fast up to 50 mph. I haven’t figured out how Honda is de-tuning the engine above 50 mph yet (retard the spark or control the CV carb. slide). If any of you know e-mail me [email protected]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Phil what kind of exhaust and air filter are on those Rincons? Those jets that you refer to, are they Honda parts? You have got me interested. What does the plug look like on those Rincons?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Phil,

Several questions on that setup?

1) How is the fuel consumption with that set-up?
2) To how high an altitude will that #155 main run well?
3) Doesn't the 4th groove without washer position the needle to be somewhere between the second and third groove with the washers?
4) Do you know the Honda part numbers for those jets?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
14 Posts
The following is in response to the recent inquires.

None of the Rincon’s I've changed have aftermarket exhausts, but two have larger end caps on the stock mufflers. We have used the stock, K&N and Sparks racing air filters with little or no effect or change in performance. They will however, run a little better with the lid off, especially at high elevations. The # 40 pilots and the main jets are standard kehin (sp?) jets. The plugs look white on one side and light brown on the other side. The fuel consumption on a repeat 3 day 300 mile ride dropped from 29 mpg to 26 mpg. I don't know for sure what the drop has been on tough riding conditions because the tough riding conditions are never the same, but I would guess that the % drop would be the same. We've run this setup at 10,000' on the piaute trail with no stuttering. You can use washers under the needle as long as they raise the needle the same amount as putting the clip in the 4th grove without washers. I've done it both ways.

I just changed another Rincon Sunday with the same positive results.

Also, I have sized the DJ jets and have found very little if any difference in them and kehin jets.

Because I've had good experience with DJ's products in the past, I have to believe DJ did their testing on a Rincon that was an anomaly. Their jetting just doesn't work on any Rincon I've been exposed to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It runs to 60 to 62 mph top speed and then the rev. limiter stops it from going any faster. The modifications we've done really wake the engine up from 0 to 5300 rpm's but from there to the 6600 rpm limit set by Honda there doesn't seem to be much improvement. It runs just as good as before in that area, its just that the bottom end runs so much better that this restriction at 5300 rpm's is much more noticeable. Either Honda is retarding the timing above 5300 rpms or the restrictions they've built into the intake and exhaust keep this area from being agressive. Also, we just returned from a 346 mile ride on the paiute trail and found that some of the totally stock rincons with our setup ran a little rich at mid-range above 7000 feet. We lowered the needle to 3rd clip with a washer under the clip (3.5 setting) and turned the air screw to 2.5 and they ran without sputtering. This may however, take away some of the snap at lower elevations.
For comparsion, we are hitting 50 mph in 150 yds with a hot transmission (honda rincon transmissions don't like cold oil) at 2600' elevation after the modifications. Before the changes it took about 200 yds to hit 50 mph.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow,
seems like the jetting recommendations for high altitude vary wildly... Hmmm..so stock is 152, and the DJ kit says to go 142-144, Phil who seems to have some experience with these mods says I should go even richer on my main than stock, up to a 155. Sounds like I will have to experiment on my own.

Jeffrey

·
Registered
314 Posts
Some observations and questions?

Phils suggested setup with a larger Honda jet and a lower (fourth groove) needle setup would really be letting in a lot of fuel even at an almost closed throttle and may be why the #40 slow jet works in that setup.

I haven't jet compared the taper of the two needles to see what differences there are.

Some things I wonder about the implications of:

Running the clip in lower grooves shortens the overal travel of the needle. Quicker response/less precise control? Does it even matter?

The lighter DJ spring responds more quickly to vacuum, giving the faster throttle response down low. What effect does it have at the higher flow rates at next to full throttle? Does it in any way change the overall maximum travel of the needle, or if this limited by the diaphram and carb cap?

These constant velocity carbs make it difficult to understand all the relationship. Wish it had a cable controling things.
Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
I to am experiencing difficulty trying to get the 158 main jet and #40 pilot
maybe i'll have better luck if Phil could pass on some part numbers.
I did the k&n upgrade and the bike doesn,t load up on fuel anymore
but i would sure like to kick some kawi and grizz butt.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got the jets that phil suggested from dennis kirk they were about five bucks each. By the way my bike runs awsome with this setup in it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts