Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone new here and just picked up a rincon a few days ago and started Messing around with it. I noticed this what looks like an electronic adjuster for the transmission someone bolted onto the right side frame and just cut the one that was on the left. I've attached some pics of the adjuster and the plug. If anyone can tell me if this is supposed to be like this or if the previous owner was trying to bypass something that'd be much appreciated. From what I've figured out so far the switch for controlling the shifting is dead and the throttle position sensor is throwing a code but those parts will be here in a couple days.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,832 Posts
Yikes... That there is a back country fix if ever I saw one... Just "WHAT" it was fixing is the mystery. Look at the weld job... Ha! Can you follow that group of wires and find the other end? (Photo 3) If you ride it in ESP, will it shift? There is a Throttle position adjustment, see below. A service manual might be your buddy for this one...

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I can follow the wiring to a 3 prong connector. I can also turn that little sensor and it'll change the reading on my dash to reverse or neutral. As far as shifting it won't come out of first it feels not going past 18 mph that entire switch assembly on the side with the manual shift buttons is partially messed up I believe since it can't even do that procedure or anything besides lights and start. New one comes tomorrow. Also has 11 esp flashes for throttle position sensor that's going to be here today with a new carb. Got a manual online from someone while searching the forum that posted it here but I don't remember who to thank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well parts got delayed until tomorrow so I started checking over the wiring harness and found a cut sensor by she shift linkage at the trans anyone know where this 3 wire sensor plugs to?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I figured out what the sensor hanging on the side of the frame in pic 1. It goes into the trans by the shifter linkage. Why they would do that instead of the proper fix is just weird. But now to adjust the linkage to get rid of the grinding

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thats crazy, lol. Yes that sensor goes where your cut wires are, lol. Ill check that plug again in picture. Hope you can get enough adjustment... you said carb, so its pre 05, more than likely needs a final shift gear

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just realized I didn't post the year my bad its a 2003. I think I should be able to adjust it before I put that sensor in the trans I was able to turn it and get into reverse just fine and get into drive with some grinding now all grind in both forward and reverse. Fortunately the rigged wiring is at a minimum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts