Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how much spare power output is available for auxillary lights and such. I was looking at the shop manual for alternator output and it looked to me like an absurdly high number. I just want to add some lights that I can run for long periods at night without exceeding the limits. I've got a nice set of Hellas that would work real nice but require 55W each. Thanks in advance for suggestions or information. ~Ross

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry, I do not know the exact answer to your question. There is, however, an article in a recent Dirt Wheels about 'Project Rincon' adding aux. lighting. Perhaps that is a place to start.

I vaguely recall two electrical pro types arguing over the spec. alternator output and what it actually was on another bbs. Perhaps doing a search on this or other bbs will be helpful for specifics.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What did the manual say? i remember seeing it, but forgot what it was. I have 55 watt fog lights on my Rincon and have not had a problem with power drain. I think i looked at the manual and determined that this was within the capacity of the generator / alternator. I was going to try to put 85's or 100's on it but i think i determined that was more than it was going to handle over an extended period of time. I will take a look at it in more detail when i get home.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looking on the web, i found 360 watts as the alternator output. If this is right, you should be fine for a pair of 55W lights.

I figure stock headlights are 40 each and tail lights are 5/20 (i think). This puts a 120 watt draw worst case (when brakes are on). 90 watts for normal operation (no brakes)

Not sure what the draw of the bike is for "normal" operation. I am guessing it can't be more than 160 watts, which would max out the alternator. (360W alternator output - 90 watts standard lights - 110 watts aux. lights = 160 watts available). These "normal" things need to include the cooling fan (which i imagine is the single biggest draw when on), instrument panel, shift motors (momentary on / usual off), engine / transmission computers (should be very low draw), carb heater (only when cold).

Anyone think of anything else that would draw any significant amount of power (besides what might be plugged into the "cig. lighter" plug and / or winch... the winch is a beast of its own)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking that I'll start it up, turn on the lights, and take some measurements with the DC current clamp. The thing that threw me was that I think the manual said 36KW for the alternator output. Maybe I read it wrong but that, to me, looks like 36000 watts which I'm sure is not the case. maybe I missed the decimal point in there. 360watts does sound a lot more realistic to me. I'll add up all the load devices and go from there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
.36KW, that would be right. Damn the decimal system!

I would like to know the power usage when the bike is at idle, without any of the lights on. Flip the lights on and see if it goes up by about 90 watts or about 7 amps, if i remember my electrical formulas correctly...

·
Registered
14 Posts
1.21 Jiggawatts!!!!
Now Honda makes some mighty fine generators, but the Rinny isn't one of them.
36 Kilowatts is the power needed to supply a modern high-middle class all electric house with a large family living in it, with everything going at full blast.
0.36 KW is more likely the intended print, which is of course 360 watts. When compared to the other big bore quads, this is a very respectable amont of power, I think it might be the highest output alternator of any.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts