Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to take the rack off to mark the mounting holes for the new Tusk box. My God what a pain. Took an hour to get it off and 5 mins to mark and drill the holes in the box. Come on Honda!

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
I took mine off to paint them. It was a much bigger job then I anticipated. It took longer to remove the front and rear racks then it did to do most all of my other mods combined. It was worth it though, they look much better in black.

Getting the Warn brushguard to work with the PRM skidplates was almost as fun. Hurray for sledgehammers!!

Anyone know where to get a tool to remove the plastic body "fasteners"....if so what is it called and how much is it?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My "tool" is two 3/16" cabinet screwdrivers and a pair of needlenose. LOL

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've found spraying them with wd40 or alcohol, then using a regular screw driver, works the best, i've heard there is a tool made for this, maybe someone that works a dealership can help.

·
Registered
807 Posts
use a pair of ***** or sidecutters. squeeze the point under the fasteners and pry up. works fine and doesn't damage them in any way. BTW - buy a bag of extras anyway.....you'll lose some over time.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
I found a box of fasteners identical to the Honda ones at the help shelf at Autozone. They are the exact same appearancs except they release with a phillips head screw instead. Work much better and were 20 for $4.00.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Took the back rack off to install my supertrapp pipe.UGHHHHHHHH!!!! It was so much of a pain in the arse that I went ahead and painted the rack while I had it off. Didn't wanna have to take that darn thing off again for ANY reason....LOL

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good info, corndog, I will check out my local autozone.

Agreed Red. I hope I never have to do it again.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You can get a "tack remover" at home depot for about $5. It has a small angled blade with a slot in it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
just did my racks in blackbed liner paint and i hope i never have to again those racks are a nightmare.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Did my back racks with bedliner as well, love it but i agree they take forever to get them off

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
When I painted mine front and back with bedliner I didn't remove them I just pushed newspaper underneath to protect the plastic. I also removed my stock muffler and installed my HMF without removing my rack. I saw it was going to be a pain in the ass so I just beat the crap out of the stock pipe until I got it out. Only thing hurt was the pipe. I ain't removing nothing unless I absolutely have too.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Iuse a screwdriver that has a little thing on it to hold a screw to start it. Dont know what it is called but it hokks under 2 sides of the fastener and pulls it ou good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts