Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I were riding over the weekend and his rincon started making this horible sound from the rear of the bike. I thought it was just mud/dust around the roater for the rear break. however, once we got home and he washed it, it was still making this noise...although much softer. It is not a constent noise but rather "pulses" of sound that increase and decrease in volume like a sin wave. Is there some type of bearing or something that could be going out??? it only has 400 miles on it...

·
Registered
613 Posts
I don;t know if this is the same problem but.....
Mine did the same thing...I rode it for about 5mins and the noise went away. But before that, everytime i hit the brakes hard it sounded bad,, Mostly because i was going down hill but it went away. i was guessing it was dirt, mud, & Rust on the pads etc. Maybe someone knows the answers...

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I had a similar sound coming from mine a while ago. Sometimes it sounded like a squeak, other times a rattle, loud at times, then quiet others..

Turned out to be the cheap foil like sheet Honda put between the muffler and the bottom of the rear black plactic. Mine had torn loose and was rubbing on other metal surfaces causing different noises at different times. I ripped it out and solved the problem. My wife now complains from time to time that her rear-end gets hot after short rides. I may have to find some sort of a replacement heat shield and get it back installed soon.

·
Registered
338 Posts
i had a noise like that and it turned out to be the inner cv joint..

were it goes into the rear diff if the seal fails water and dirt can get in there on the splines and it will squeak,rattle and carry on..the splines do not go thru into the diff fluid so they get dried out..just a thought hope it helps. it is real hard to fix it with out hearing it in person..

does the noise get worse while moving front to back(on the gas) or does it when the shocks get compressed like going over rough terrain,or is it only when the rear brake is applied??

slowly elimate which one causes it and you will find it...now if its under warranty go back to the dealer and let them find it..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Toolman,
My front in is making the squeaking like you were mentioning when I just turn the wheels or push down on the front end. Do you know how I can get this to quit squeaking?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Jason, did it only make noise when you applied the brakes or just when you were in motion.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
toolman, this noise is all the time regardless of if the breaks are applied or not. The shocks being compressed or relaxed didn't affect it either. I can even push or pull the bike and hear it. Its making me think its something with the gears or chunk and not the brake area...umm...toolman have any ideas?

How would I explain to him how to check the rear cv?

·
Registered
338 Posts
texasrincon,sounds like yours maybe just the bushings in the a-arms are dry,does it quit for a little while after you ride thru some mud or water?if so i would say bushings.

could be a bearing but not likely with what you discribed,but you could jack up the front end and see if you have excess play in them.

jason,
your noise is in the front?i would look at the brakes first,if they get water in them,regardless if they are applied or not they will make noises.

it will be hard to help with the rear because i threw alot of parts at mine before i could figure it out..you need to have 2 or 3 people to listen to it so you can try to figure exactly were it is coming from..i would take the rear caliper off first that way you can totally elimanate it,since the rincon rear disc does make alot of noises even when not applied.

·
Registered
11 Posts
toolman,
Yes, it does seem to quit or not be as bad after riding for a while. If the a-arms are dry, etc. do you know what I need to do to fix that. Sorry, I am a mechanical idiot.

·
Registered
338 Posts
the easy way is spray some wd40 at the bushings,the best method would be to take them apart and apply waterproof grease on the sleeves that run thru them(thats what i did on mine)i do this every 400-500 miles or so...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Jason did you find out what the noise was in your fathers rincon.I recall after you first got it that KC's didn't check the rear end lube and it was DRY!!! might be the problem

Mike

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike, You are correct about KC's but I filled the rear and front chunck after only 75-100 miles. It looks to me like if/when the rear chunk would go it would just go? The gears are large thick metal interlacing gears. I can't see how they would make weird noises they would just fail??

Mike, keep in mind I could barely help you with the Jet kit mod on that rincon LOL...

BTW, how is your rincon and the family? I haven't heard from you in some time..feel free to give me a call and maybe we could go riding and you compare the grizzly to your rincon. I would dare to say that your heavly modified rincon (pipe, jet kit, snorkle removed..ect.) would beat my grizzly out of the hole but i would be interested to see which one would take the top end...?

·
Registered
322 Posts
For you guys experiencing a rattling type of noise in the rear end when applying the rear brakes with a lot of pressure, that's normal. There are little "rivet" type of things that hold the disc brake to the driveshaft. There is a little play in them for some normal reason and it the disc brake will slap back and forth on these "rivets" when you slam on the rear brake. Nothings wrong, it's normal and all shaft mounted rear disc systems do this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts