Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres the scoop,
no more diving in the front,no squatting in the rear,it just hooks up and goes or spins the tires..
go into a corner and it sticks,no dive at all.i found myself haveing to correct my steering all day because i was steering to much,it goes were pointed(steers alot quicker now)it also improved the traction of the tires because it holds them to the ground better.
doesn't wheely over things as easy because the rear doesn't squat down now.
of course the ride is alittle harsher,do you want cadillac ride stay stock,you want control stiffen it up.
with dual rate springs you will hear and feel things more(spring binding etc)it annoying at first but once you realize everything is fine and not falling off your ok.it is just the nature of the beast.

these are not for everyone but if you like riding trails at higher speeds,you should enjoy the added control you get with these shocks..

very impressed and glad i did it,after 3000 miles my stock shocks were shot,take the springs off and they just collapsed,no damping at all..

·
Registered
314 Posts
Toolman,

Sounds like you got the results you were hoping for; can't wait to hear more long-term.

One thing I don't understand is your comment on noises and "spring binding". How should springs binding be considered "everything is fine"? Why is spring binding acceptable after spending that much money; what are they binding on?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its hard to explain..you have 2 sets of springs and you also have some aluminum washers/spacers? they slide up and down on the shock body as dirt/mud accumulate you will feel the spacers slide up and down and you will also feel the shocks fully extend at times..i call it binding it really isn't binding but does make noises..

i also gained about 1 inch in ground clearance (loaded out) and you don't lose it when you load it,because they ask you how much you weigh and how much you carry in accesories..sweet..

the reason i say this is normal,is my rubicon had the same setup and it made the same noises,i called them about that years ago and they said it was normal,you can spray them with a lubricant but it will come back and it did,but for the added control i can live with it..(go to any compact car forum and you will see people complaining about spring noises after they change springs,its the nature of the beast if you tighten up your suspension)

i will say this again,this setup is NOT for everyone...in fact it probably is only for 1-2% of most rincon owners,all others want the smooth cadillac ride over control..

i see no long term problems,because now i have rebuilable shocks for the same price i would have paid for a full set of non rebuilable stock shocks..

·
Registered
314 Posts
Would shock covers both keep the dirt and mud out and stop the noise?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just put a set on today,i will know after next weekend..

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Toolman,

Glad to hear these are working out well for you. I have 2300 miles on mine and the fronts are shot, the rears seem to have some life in them yet. The problem is that I just put on Bighorns and ordered a pipe, jet kit & filter so I don't have a whole lot of $ burning a hole in my pocket right now. Do you see any problems with changing the fronts now & the rears sometime later? I ride hard & fast a lot of the time. Also is the harsher ride comparable to the increased harshness you get with the Bighorns compared to the stockers or is it more or what? Thanks,

hondaman

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you think the big horns made it "harsh" you may not want to go to these shocks..they make that big of a difference.
also if you buy the whole set they knocked 50.00 off the rears and shipped them at no charge too..

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Well hell, 2300 miles out of non rebuildable non adjustable stock shocks doesn't make me want to rush right down and buy another set. The price of Elka shocks makes me think I should get stock certificates with them. So unless anybody can help me out with another idea I think I will go with the Works.
Anybody?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
update!!!

shock covers do not help with the noise..
after much discussion on the ride yesterday,we have come to the conclusion..it will just be there..if you look at your stock shocks,you have a plastic sleeve,well on the works it is all aluminum,so you have aluminum sleeves with aluminum shock body,there is going to be some friction,(think how much your shocks work)i still would not trade back,the added ground clearance and extra control is well worth alittle noise sometimes,it really is only there when you extend the shock fully anyway..

now i have to address the right rear outer joint popping..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts