Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 2005 Rincon now about a month. The headlights already have gone out. I just took it on my first major ride and can not explain how dissapointed I am. Don't get me wrong I love the suspension, but the low end torque, there isn't any!!! I am coming off a z400 Sport Bike, so I do expect the same performance, but some would be nice. I was trying hill climbs, and the bike would die!! I ran into 2 other guys with Rincon's that said they will not attempt tough hill climbs due to theirs dieing as well. It's dangerous to have it die on you on these inclines.

I have read how people are riding wheelies on their Rincon's, I need to know, HOW? There is not any low end torque. Next, how do you get up steep hill climbs without this thing stalling out on you, its almost as if the carb float reached a certain angle, and says no more fuel for you. I am very unhappy for what this bike cost me!!!!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
Mine has plenty of low end torgue, even with my 27 inch Mudlites. The only thing I have done is the 2 inch ex. tip and I didn't even have to rejet. I recently went on a ride in Texas and there were plenty of steep hills and had no porblems even on the sandy ones. I have noticed that there is a little more lag in auto than in ESP, but it doesn't really affect the power.

·
Registered
280 Posts
after it gets 200-300 miles on it it will perk up, unless you already have a blown o-ring.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How would I know if I have blown the O ring?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
First off, the O-Rings were a first run problem with the 03's, already taken care of. Secondly let it break in, I pretty much can guarantee that you probably dont climb near the stuff I do and I have no problem with it dieing. Sounds like you need to let it break in a little more.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not necissarily an '03 problem alone. One of our club members has an '04
that blew the o-rings, and it did have the new ones in it. Faulty
assembly was blamed.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
It sounds to me just like what the others have said -- first, get it broken in and see how it does. Then start investigating the various issues that might cause low power.

Mine has always been low on power, and certainly my Grizzly will outclimb the Rincon any day of the week and with power to spare. But mine still climbs decently and doesn't die when climbing. It has been known to die on descents, or if you're climbing and come to a sudden stop (letting off the throttle), but that's it. It's run better after setting the air-fuel screw correctly.

I have an appt next week to have my Rincon checked thoroughly to figure out where it's power problem is.

Rob

·
Registered
106 Posts
Rob, good luck with your power problem, I know you have been fighting it for a while now, I hope you get it taken care of to your liking...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does this happen when you first start the machine. Remember a Rincon needs hot oil for the torque converter to work. You must let the Rincon warn up for 15 minutes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, it's all the time. It's like it is bogged down and has been since I purchased it. I have heard guys talking here about doing wheelies, my rincon could never do this, there isn't any tourque to accomplish this. The hill climbs, which were steep, but not out of hand, the Rincon could not make it up either.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have two Rincons and they are quite different. One will wheelie at the drop of a hat, the other is broken in just fine, and It won't wheelie. If you put it in deep mud,,,it will sputter and bog and barely turn over the tires. That is obviously a jetting/carburetion problem, but it is one the factory should have sorted out before selling it to me. I am doing the usual two inch exhaust mod/K&N/DynoJet mods to see if it will wake up. If it won't wake up and run like the other, I will be selling it to get something else. These things handle great, but a 650 with no power is a pretty sorry state of affairs. Can you think of any other recreational vehicle with 650cc's that is this docile? I can't. A 650 should be something that is just flat powerful.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just got the bike back from the shop, they said they think it's running fine. Still no low end. I can't even come close to lifting the front end off the ground!! I tried some hills again, no get up and go. This is only a 1 month old '05 Rincon and I will make my voice heard through Honda, I only hope they listen. Back to the shop we go.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Bummer -- good luck with the problem. When you fork over that much $'s, you should expect better performance out of the box. I've had an 03 for about 8 months. Haven't been to the mountains yet and am at about 800 ft. We do have some hills to climb about 200 yds long that are steep enough to make me nervous. I can stop and re-start mid-climb with ease and plenty of power to spin all 4. My bike is still stock.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
New to this site...glad I found it! I had a similar stalling problem with my '03 Rincon. I watched my brother stall at the top of a 100 ft hill and have to ride down backward the whole way with a dead motor because the brakes wouldn't hold it. The dealer said he "reset the computer" and adjusted the idle. No problems since. I should have asked him how he reset the computer but I didn't.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've improved my low-end with dyno-jet and most of all the tip exhaust but there is times ie. if i'm pulling something with a winch and the machine works too hard, and i standing still, but the tires are still moving of course still giving it gas.....the machine at times will stall once i take my finger off the gas...It doesn't happen all the time but it has. I don;t know why it does that... I can bring the front end up if i pull it but it doesn't stand up by itself i still need to work it... has the stalling ever happen to anyone else like that?

·
Registered
409 Posts
MOto and JG - I think it was YellowRincon650 that posted he thinks he has a fix for it by taking out the white baffle in the fuel bowl. Do a search for him and see if you can find it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Mine had the same stall problem the first time I rode it. It stalled on me twice when I was stuck in a deep rut and let off the throttle. It has never done it again after 400 and some odd miles. I have also never experienced the stalling problem when going up steep hills like I have heard others mention, and I went up one that was very, very steep, littered with big rocks , deep ruts and I didn't think would end till I got to the moon. I'll never go up that one again. Mine seems to run better every time I ride it. I hope I'm not jinxing myself. I feel for you guys that are haveing these problems. I know how frustrating they can be. Now I'm haveing problems with my truck and it cost way, way more than my rincon.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Aircum!
Wheelies?? I thought I'd be a smart a$$ on our last ride and throw some mud on the guy behind me. I stopped with my rear tires in a small mudhole, turned in the seat and looked at the guy right behind me. I nailed the throttle while still turned in the seat and it stood straight up in the air and when the front end came back down, it ended up in some small trees. Give it some time and it will probably come around. Mine wouldn't come close to doing that when it was new.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Picky,

thanks for the info I hope you are right. In the mean time... I will keep riding, Honda supposed to be getting back to the dealer on tech support issue. Will let ya'll know what comes out of this

1 - 20 of 30 Posts