Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just completed my first oil change on our 2 rincons. it wasn't hard just time consuming. i ended up taking off the plastic skid plate because when i was changing the oil on the first one, the oil seems to drain all in the skid plate. and man you guys were right about pouring the new oil in. better have some time on your hands because it takes forever. i also feel i got RIPPED OFF from the dealership (i know hard to believe) because it cost $45.00 for the filters and 7 quarts of oil. we are leaving to go to colorado in a couple of days so i didn't have time to shop around.

·
Registered
46 Posts
T-7 that's about the going rate for the oil & filter here also, But I tell you what don't put honda oil & filter in it and see what happens. I did and it was a big mistake, I used the Mobile-1 syn for 4 stroke motorcycles & atv's with a K&N oil filter within 15 minutes tranny quit shifting right and the topend started rattling. Drained all that crap out put honda stuff in and its good too go.

Mike

·
Registered
282 Posts
Mike! You didn't tell me that you had problems with that type of oil? I am still using the standard honda oil because nothing else seems to work as well...I know I will get bashed by everyone here that thinks that rotella stuff from wal-mart is better and all i have to say about that is everyone is entitled to their opinions and I tend to belive the hundreds of engineers that designed the honda oil for the honda bikes...umm...and also people like mike and myself that have witnessed what heppends when you use others oils.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can use other oil it just can not have "Energy Conserving" properties in it.

From what I have read in other threads here a lot of guys have found that using Rotella T 5W40 Syn works great and in fact makes the machine shift better.

The best part is that you can by it a Wal Mart for $12.88 a gallon.

I just bought some last night and plan on changing to it next week. It is in a blue plastic jug. They also sell a heaver weighted oil in a white jug, make sure you get the blue one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rincon John, I hear that alot about the Rotella. But i'm gun shy now!!! When my rinny needed her first oil change I said I'll be Dam if I'm going to the Dealer and pay that much for oil & a filter..So I took my owners Manual and off i went looking for oil that would work in the rinny. The Mobile-1 10w30 Syn for 4-stroke motorcycles & ATV's meets all of Honda specs the MA,Jatsco 903 and what ever else honda says. But the Shit WILL NOT work in my Rincon and besides if i can't afford to spend 23.00 on my 7500.00 investment I Guess i need to sell It.

Just My two cents.....Mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mike,

I understand your being gun shy after that experience. Must be something different about the mobile 1 syn that causes the problem.

I'm actually ready for my 2nd oil change. I let my local dealer do the first one as well as the other items for the first scheduled maintainence. It cost me 200 bucks, that will never happen again.

I'm pretty trusting of the opinons of this forum, so I am going to give the Rotella T a try and see if it works as good for me as it has for everyone else I have read about here. I'll let you know the results.

John

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I've been using Valvoline's new 4-Stroke ATV Oil, 10W40. It's $3/quart from AutoZone, Kragen and other auto parts stores. Cheap and works fine.

Castrol also has a new ATV-specific oil out, so it's good news for that competition will drives prices down.

As for filters, Emgo makes filters for the Rincon and you can get 'em on eBay... five for about $18 shipped. I've used Emgo filters on my Grizzly for two years and they seem to be doing just fine.

Rob

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rincon john, Please do sir.. I'd rather take a beating than to spend another dime at my dealership. But when your 7500.00 machine starts making those gut wrenching noises you start seeing lots of dollar signs going by. so i'm a little leary.

Good Luck, Mike

·
Registered
282 Posts
03rincon, I completely agree with you...in fact I took that jet kit out and put it completely back to stock because the dumb thing would stall when I decelerated hard...and it had crappy top end...I am thinking I will try just the air filter and stock jetting to see if it leans it out just enough!...has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Rotella for over 1000 miles with no problems. Remember if you have the extended warranty you must use Honda filters. Get the long black funnel (at WM) that holds a quart, fits tight amd stands by itself; make filling real easy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
parkgt's right about the funnel. Make's changing the oil a breeze.
As far as oil goes, my honda dealer sells "honda" oil for $12.00 a gallon... so what is the purpose behind buying rotella for the same price? Guess I just don't get it?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Did my first oil change today also. Boy what a pain in the butt.
That filler has got to be the lousiest set-up in the ATV industry
today. Took a good 20 mins to get the new oil in there.

I didnt' remove the plastic skid plate, but I will from now on.
Oil everywhere. Ended up removing it anyway to clean all the oil
off it.

I also took the spark plug wire off, and cranked her over a few seconds
to pump out all the old oil possible. Refill took 3.5 qts, instead of 3.
It sprayed out the open oil drain hole, so next time I will block it with
a rag. I don't like the idea of 1.5 qts. of old oil staying in, but at
least I got another 1/2 qt. out. Will make the changeover to full syn faster
by a bit also.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Changed my oil yesterday over to the Rotella T 5W40. Have only got about 10 miles on its so far but I can already see that the tranny does indeed shift smoother. You can hardly feel it shift at all.

I also agree the engineers did a p*ss poor design on making the oil change an easy process. Very messy and slow. Perhaps it was done on purpose so we wouldn't want to do it ourselves and take them to the dealer.

·
Registered
280 Posts
"Perhaps it was done on purpose so we wouldn't want to do it ourselves and take them to the dealer."

Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts