Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this ride just two weeks ago, at least I got to go once, I imagine ATVs will be banned soon, never know though, worse has happened to cars and they are still allowed :)

ATV rider plunges off of Mount Washington Auto Road

GORHAM— Robert Ordway, 39, Hooksett, suffered extensive injuries when his all-terrain vehicle plunged off of the Mount Washington Auto Road and tumbled into tree branches along a sheer roadside dropoff Saturday, Aug. 28.
Ordway was experiencing some problems with his ATV and looked down at the machine, taking his eyes off of the road, according to Wayne Saunders, conservation officer New Hampshire Fish and Game. "He picked his head up and rode it off the road," Saunders said. "He ended up in some trees about 10 feet over the roadside, pretty much vertical," he said.

The accident occurred about three miles from the start of the eight-mile-long auto road, Saunders said. Spruce and fir trees halted his fall.

The machine was literally vertical, kind of caught in the trees," Saunders said. "Had he gone off four miles up, there's nothing to catch him."
A Connecticut visitor on the road called for help, and Gorham Ambulance, New Hampshire State Police and the Forest Service responded. The road is privately owned, but adjacent land is Forest Service land.

Gorham ambulance reported that crews were dispatched to the auto road at 6:03 p.m., and at around 7:30 p.m., following a lengthy extrication, Ordway was transported to Androscoggin Valley Hospital in Berlin. No medical information was available from the hospital.

The auto road allows ATV riders at a fee of $10. The road opened for the season this spring and extended to its longest daytime hours, 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., for the period between June 12 and Sept. 6. On Sept. 7, hours scale back to 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. through Sept. 12; 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. through Oct. 3; 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. through Oct. 17; and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. from Oct. 18 to the closing date, which is determined by weather

·
Registered
42 Posts
Damn I hate that sh*t! Some idiot freaks out and falls off a mountain and you and I pay the price. Even if this incident was a freak occurance, we all still pay the price! It makes me so mad I can't deal with it in a decent manner. Where do we go when the masses are against us and wanna make the rules? 3-wheelers don't exist because of this liberalism and we may be next...then we ride illegally? I guess that may be the case...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Take the word "all-terrain" out of the article and this accident could have happened with any vehicle. Inattention is the cause.....not ATV.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good thing for us that the auto road is privately owned, my parents are rescue/paramedics in the area and much worse has happened to cars/passengers in the past, the road is still open and doing fine. Because that $10 fee is important to keeping the road maintained and open, I doubt we will see any changes in their policy of ATV use, I guess time will tell though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Always some peckerhead gets in trouble up there every year. Good place to stay away from imho. Jason, I'll have to admit that the thought of riding up that auto road on my atv is intriguing... I'll have to try it. We shoudl get an ATV ARMADA rolling up that thing and take some pics. That'd be cool, huh?

·
Registered
18 Posts
It should read: "Idiot rides machine off of mountian"

People need to remember that the machine is only as safe as the person riding it!!

I don't know about the rest of you but when I sense that my machine has a problem, I stop, get off, and check it out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rock, I did make the ride up a few weekends ago and it was pretty cool. The $10 is well worth it, the views are awesome when you don't have a car around you to get in the way. The Rincon wasn't even working to get up and i never touched the brakes on the way down. My friend's Predator was heating up pretty good on the way up and my father's Foreman was fine. When we unloaded their must have been 20 other machines unloading with us, it was a good time and the bigger the group the more fun it could be. There are a few really good trails in the area too so it wouldn't be a wasted trip up north, it only takes 30-40 minutes to get to the summit and about the same to come down with traffic. It's getting kind of late in the year but we could still make a trip, there is a chance that I will be in the area the weekend of the 18th, might have to work but it's still up in the air.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Jason, thanks for the good review. I went up the autoroad about 3 years ago by car. I didn't see one single atv. Hmm. They must have started allowing that between then and now. I'll definitely have to make it a priority to get up there soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts