Honda Rincon Forum banner

Front end alignment

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  RobG 
#1 ·
I noticed my front right tire is kicked out a little, I noticed it when it was almost new and it doesn't cause any problems but I would like to adjust it. Has anyone done this?

#2 ·
Does it cause the machine to seem to pull to the right? Do you have to have the bars cocked to the left a little while riding to go straight?

If not, I'd leave it alone. Otherwise, you can adjust it inward by loosening both jam nuts on the tie rod and rotating the rod so that the wheel turns inward. I would suggest no more than 1/2 turn of the rod.

The nuts are (I think) 21mm, and you'll use a 10mm (I think) wrench to hold the tie rod while you loosen or tighten the jam nuts.

Rob

#3 ·
Hey rincon Jeff, just so you know honda does call for a slight toe out on the rincon. I had a chance to play with the alignment when i had to replace a tie rod. I ended up with approx 1/8" toe out. I believe honda calls for 1/4" (Rob correct me If I'm wrong) of toe out. I wouldnt play with It too much especially If the bike Is tracking straight. You will find the bike will steer too aggressively If you approach a toe in condition. Just my two cents...Hoss

#5 ·
I don't recall what the toe spec is... but 1/8" or 1/4" should be fine either way.

For the record... too much toe out will make it darty. Toe-in will make steering slow. Too much of either will also cause abnormal tire wear.

I personally would aim for 1/8 to 1/4" toe out, and then adjust it as needed so it tracks straight. I've found it's best to make changes 1/2 turn of the tie rod at a time and then ride up and down a level street on asphalt to see how it acts, then park it and make changes until you're satisfied.

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.